Laptops problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

barstant

Today i took my acer travelmate laptop apart to fix a power socket problem on the back because it was loose so got the soldering iron out and managed to fix it but after putting it all back together and powering on all i get is a blank/black screen, and i cannot get into any options like F2 or F8 F12 i have checked to make sure the screen is connected properly... So i took a hard drive from my other packard bell laptop and put it in the acer and it was the same blank/black screen, so took the hard drive back out and put it back in the packard bell and cannot get that working properley now, as it boots up it shows the packard bell logo and gives me options like F2 F12 so i went into F2 and loaded set-up defaults and save and exit now whenever it starts to try and boot up all i see is a flashing - minus sign in the top left corner of the screen, can anybody help please as they both worked today thanks for any advice or help you can offer..
BARRY

The hard drive might have gotten corrupted, or damaged from improper connection to the motherboard

The hard drive might have gotten corrupted, or damaged from improper connection to the motherboard

Hi thanks for the reply, i have taken the original 60GB hard drive from the acer and put it in the packard bell and it works ok in there, However the 100GB from the packard bell will not work in the packard bell or the acer just a blank/black screen in the acer and still the flashhing - minus sign on bootup in the packard bell.
Any more advice or help appreciated from anyone.
BARRY

you may have damaged the screen "backlight".

One way to test (don't know if this test always works this way but has done so on a couple Dell's with backlight problems)

Start the laptop up normally
Take a very bright light (like a xenon flash light or desk lamp)
Position the light so it beams down at the screen from just above it and at a very steep angle.

If you can see a VERY DIM screen image it's definitley the backlight. I believe only choice is replace the laptop screen (or buy a new laptop, whichever is more cost effective)

you may have damaged the screen "backlight".

One way to test (don't know if this test always works this way but has done so on a couple Dell's with backlight problems)

Start the laptop up normally
Take a very bright light (like a xenon flash light or desk lamp)
Position the light so it beams down at the screen from just above it and at a very steep angle.
If you can see a VERY DIM screen image it's definitley the backlight. I believe only choice is replace the laptop screen (or buy a new laptop, whichever is more cost effective)

Thanks i just tried that but cannot see any sort of image
I forgot to mention this happened on another acer travelmate 2200 a few weeks ago after removing that hard drive. but would'nt think that would cause the problem of a blank/black screen, but obviously it has somehow.

Hmmm.. i did just googled "laptop backlight" (you can try so yourself) and it would seem that if it was the backlight you probably should have seen a very dim image.

Since you don't see any image, your problem might not be a backlight issue then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back