Last minute iPhone 6 display redesign could limit availability at launch

Jos

Staff

Apple is expected to announce a new iPhone in little over two weeks, but a last minute snag with the display’s backlighting may result in limited availability at launch. According to Reuters, the company put screen assembly on hold for part of June and July because the original design was not bright enough.

The problem cropped up as Apple wanted to reduce the material used for the backlight from the standard two layers to just one, in hopes of thinning the phone. But without that second layer the company found that the device’s display wasn’t bright enough to meet its standards.

Although the setback doesn’t appear to have delayed Apple’s launch plans, it’s unclear if this pause in manufacturing will have an impact on the initial shipments of the new iPhones. Reuters’ sources claim output is now back on track and suppliers are working flat-out to make up for lost time.

Companies making the screens include Japan Display, LG Display and Sharp. The former is said to be the lead supplier for the new iPhone panel and as much as a third of the firm’s total revenue for the year is coming from Apple.

Although we won’t know for certain until September 9, the next iPhone is expected feature a slightly redesigned body, with a 4.7-inch model arriving initially and possibly followed a 5.5-inch variant sometime later. Along with the larger screen, the iPhone 6 may include a more durable sapphire display, and the usual range of performance and camera improvements.

Permalink to story.

Am I the only one who thinks its weird that the iPhone doesn't come in black? Their almost certainly letting a small but noticeable number of sales go to Android because of this.

"...the company put screen assembly on hold for part of June and July because the original design was not bright enough."

I guess their Quality Control team doesn't touch the phone until...the end?

..."suppliers are working flat-out..."

I have no idea what working "flat-out" means? Are they laying down on their backs to decrease fatigue? Not sure that this would increase productivity though - they would fall asleep on the job!

I have no idea what working "flat-out" means? Are they laying down on their backs to decrease fatigue? Not sure that this would increase productivity though - they would fall asleep on the job!
Flat-out means at top speed. It comes from automotive terminology and is a fairly common figure of speech in USA English. Google/Bing is your friend.

Am I the only one who thinks its weird that the iPhone doesn't come in black? Their almost certainly letting a small but noticeable number of sales go to Android because of this.
What do you mean it doesn't come in black? It does.

It just seems so dumb that everybody flies of the handle every 2 years, even waiting in line for something that hardly changes.

It just seems so dumb that everybody flies of the handle every 2 years, even waiting in line for something that hardly changes.
I'm not sure they really do though. I think it is kind of a self-perpetuating machine that people just expect there to be this hype and they build it up to be so insane, but in reality, you get a very very small percentage of the users of an iPhone actually lining up in advance.

I mean think about it, how long are those lines? a few hundred people? how many lines are there world wide? 30?-50? (likely less, likely much less, only the huge cities). Now, how many total iPhone users are there?

But release after release we have anti apple people creating 'anti-hype' about this that is much larger than the actual fanboyism.

A lot of Apple fans are going to attempt suicide if they don't get the new iPhone at launch. Let's just hope they succeed.
I am hoping to get it but I may not since the iPhone 5 battery replacement program launched today! That was the biggest problem with my iPhone 5 but I am eligible for the program so I will wait and see till the reveal.

Smartphones have already peaked. They've pretty much all stopped innovating, all we get now is slightly adjusted sized screens, slightly better pixel resolution, barely improved hardware power, and a slightly longer battery life. I guess this means we're on the cusp of a new computational paradigm shift towards AR glasses.

Smartphones have already peaked. They've pretty much all stopped innovating, all we get now is slightly adjusted sized screens, slightly better pixel resolution, barely improved hardware power, and a slightly longer battery life. I guess this means we're on the cusp of a new computational paradigm shift towards AR glasses.
What a daft statement. How can you state that Smartphones had peak and in the next sentence state they are still improving?

And still, all the apple fanboys waiting in line can still buy their goods...

seriously, many people still believe apple product shortage at launch date?

What a daft statement. How can you state that Smartphones had peak and in the next sentence state they are still improving?
He is saying that they are doing same **** every release, more RAM, bigger screen, higher resolution but nothing game changing, no new features like before. Specs are starting to matter less and less.

He is saying that they are doing same **** every release, more RAM, bigger screen, higher resolution but nothing game changing, no new features like before. Specs are starting to matter less and less.
So what new features are you expecting? Maybe a Smart-phone that scratches your back? I think it is pretty remarkable what they do manage to cram into such a small space and how quickly things are moving.

LOL, Apple knows its fanbase! Give a "limited supply at launch" BS story, get the morons to stand in
line for weeks. I don't care what kind of device it is, being the "first" is just more prove of the culture
of the self absorbed, narcissistic *****s that we have "devolved" into.
I don't care if it is a movie, smartphone, heck waiting for more than 30 minutes to go out to dinner...it
isn't worth it, but hey, if you have time to waste...I'll just wave, honk & laugh as I drive by.

This will be my first iPhone, hard waiting, I want touch Zapphire Glass.

....[ ]....I mean think about it, how long are those lines? a few hundred people? how many lines are there world wide? 30?-50? (likely less, likely much less, only the huge cities). Now, how many total iPhone users are there?
@SNGX1275....OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess, "too many"....:p

Back