TechSpot

Last minute iPhone 6 display redesign could limit availability at launch

By Jos
Aug 22, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Apple is expected to announce a new iPhone in little over two weeks, but a last minute snag with the display's backlighting may result in limited availability at launch. According to Reuters, the company put screen assembly on hold for...

Read more

2. Nobina

Nobina TS Booster Posts: 413   +92

A lot of Apple fans are going to attempt suicide if they don't get the new iPhone at launch. Let's just hope they succeed.

rculver9056, JC713 and TadMSTR like this.
  3. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Rookie Posts: 131   +31

Darwin-ian.

4. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 734   +230

Am I the only one who thinks its weird that the iPhone doesn't come in black? Their almost certainly letting a small but noticeable number of sales go to Android because of this.

5. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Enthusiast Posts: 143   +44

"...the company put screen assembly on hold for part of June and July because the original design was not bright enough."

I guess their Quality Control team doesn't touch the phone until...the end?

..."suppliers are working flat-out..."

I have no idea what working "flat-out" means? Are they laying down on their backs to decrease fatigue? Not sure that this would increase productivity though - they would fall asleep on the job!

6. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,457   +228

Flat-out means at top speed. It comes from automotive terminology and is a fairly common figure of speech in USA English. Google/Bing is your friend.

7. This what happen, when Samsung not take a part for Iphone display :p

8. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,630   +321

What do you mean it doesn't come in black? It does.

9. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,930   +569

Oh, that's a classy one, engineers take up from bean counters.

10. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 914   +22

It just seems so dumb that everybody flies of the handle every 2 years, even waiting in line for something that hardly changes.

11. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,630   +321

I'm not sure they really do though. I think it is kind of a self-perpetuating machine that people just expect there to be this hype and they build it up to be so insane, but in reality, you get a very very small percentage of the users of an iPhone actually lining up in advance.

I mean think about it, how long are those lines? a few hundred people? how many lines are there world wide? 30?-50? (likely less, likely much less, only the huge cities). Now, how many total iPhone users are there?

But release after release we have anti apple people creating 'anti-hype' about this that is much larger than the actual fanboyism.

12. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,027   +913

I am hoping to get it but I may not since the iPhone 5 battery replacement program launched today! That was the biggest problem with my iPhone 5 but I am eligible for the program so I will wait and see till the reveal.

13. Holotus

Holotus TS Rookie Posts: 60   +6

Smartphones have already peaked. They've pretty much all stopped innovating, all we get now is slightly adjusted sized screens, slightly better pixel resolution, barely improved hardware power, and a slightly longer battery life. I guess this means we're on the cusp of a new computational paradigm shift towards AR glasses.

14. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 657   +95

What a daft statement. How can you state that Smartphones had peak and in the next sentence state they are still improving?

JohnnyStone likes this.
  15. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,020   +153

And still, all the apple fanboys waiting in line can still buy their goods...

seriously, many people still believe apple product shortage at launch date?

16. Nobina

Nobina TS Booster Posts: 413   +92

He is saying that they are doing same **** every release, more RAM, bigger screen, higher resolution but nothing game changing, no new features like before. Specs are starting to matter less and less.

17. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 657   +95

So what new features are you expecting? Maybe a Smart-phone that scratches your back? I think it is pretty remarkable what they do manage to cram into such a small space and how quickly things are moving.

18. Frank Barnett

Frank Barnett TS Rookie Posts: 39

lol

19. p51d007

p51d007 TS Booster Posts: 333   +51

LOL, Apple knows its fanbase! Give a "limited supply at launch" BS story, get the morons to stand in
    line for weeks. I don't care what kind of device it is, being the "first" is just more prove of the culture
    of the self absorbed, narcissistic *****s that we have "devolved" into.
    I don't care if it is a movie, smartphone, heck waiting for more than 30 minutes to go out to dinner...it
    isn't worth it, but hey, if you have time to waste...I'll just wave, honk & laugh as I drive by.

20. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,821   +922

Oh my, a limited supply! I better get in line 4 days beforehand, instead of my usual 3!

21. This will be my first iPhone, hard waiting, I want touch Zapphire Glass.

22. rculver9056

rculver9056 TS Rookie Posts: 29   +7

LOL!

23. Bahh who cares...

-an iPhone 5 user-

24. captaincranky

Oh sure, you say that now but.........when the time comes....

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    MilwaukeeMike likes this.
  25. captaincranky

@SNGX1275....OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess, "too many"....:p

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.