Latest Bluetooth spec will connect directly to the Internet

By Shawn Knight
Dec 3, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Bluetooth in its existing form has plenty of practical applications including wireless headset use and speaker connectivity. The next iteration, however, is expected to be a game-changer as it'll be able to bypass smartphones and connect directly to the Internet.

Read more
  2. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,295   +663

This sounds pretty amazing assuming that the spec isn't full of government-mandated backdoors. The one thing that would make it even more appealing is better range. Even if this meant some kind of tradeoff it would be a good idea. Imagine if you could switch the radio preferences between "speed", "distance" and a low-power mode that gave up both options in favor of very low battery consumption (essentially current BT performance but much more efficient). I bet it could be done.
  3. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,800   +483

trust me. BT needs to be removed. it's extremely slow, has connection problems, has very short range and offers nothing that other wireless systems can't already do. I understood why people used it before smartphones existed, but now it's just something that you just use once per year.