TechSpot

Latest crop of Windows 8.1 tablets cost no more than $150

By Scorpus
Sep 3, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is beginning its push into the low cost tablet market with a selection of new products announced today at IFA in Berlin. In doing so the company is tackling Android head on, attempting to steal away some market share in...

Read more

2. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 880   +130

I'm hoping to see Dell improve on the Venue Pro 8. It always looked like the best all around 8" tablet to me.

3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,940   +379

So wait are these x86?!? or (not being too familiar with ARM) are there ARM atoms now?

4. Could I game on this?

Emulators , etc

Nothing Fancy

5. ikesmasher

internet says weaker version of intel HD 4000 (slower clock speed)...so probably a few older emulators and older games

6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

Being Bay Trail parts one has to assume they are x86. These come in at a pretty affordable price with 'Intel Inside' so they'll just cost you a LEG this time, not an ARM as well.

gamoniac likes this.
  7. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Enthusiast Posts: 409   +37

Awesome.... I think I'll go get one. Will be nice to be able to do real work. Something as simple as copy and paste shouldn't be that difficult, but half the time it doesn't let me do what I want in Android.

8. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,296   +99

It should also work with newer games, though on EXTREMELY low settings, considering the low resolution this devices have.

9. Hurry, be the first one to buy one of these.

10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

I wouldn't buy it if it was $5.
    That's right, I'm still riding the Win8 hatred train!

Darkshadoe likes this.
  11. Yep it's x86, I don't think ARM versions of Windows really took off, Microsoft themselves are maybe the only ones that still use it (Surface RT).

Having said that, these are pretty good value for x86 with full version of Windows, I might just get one of these just to try them out.

12. Why? That's so 2013!

On a serious note, these are actually tablets (which benefit from the Metro UI) so they might be worth a look, unless of course, you dislike tablets in general.

ikesmasher likes this.
  13. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 910   +22

Can still buy android tablets for $40.

14. ikesmasher

id rather pay 3 times as much for a full, x86 version of windows easily, that also has notably better hardware,

15. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

Ba dum tsh!

16. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,804   +916

Once upon a time children, they made, "digital picture frames". This was back in the dark ages kids, when "Circuit City" was still in business.

How many of you remember Circuit city? Let me see a show of hands.

These digital picture frames had no other function, save for turning your photos into a tabletop slide show. The resolutions were piss poor, as low as 240 x 360, and prices started at $60.00 or so, going up to about $200.00 for 1024 by whatever goes with that. (768, I know).

My point being, the IPS tablet in the article, is a godsend, even if all you do with it is show your pictures.

I hate to admit this, but I actually might buy one. It's gotta beat by a country mile, hauling my ancient TN screen laptop around just to show photos. Which is pretty much all I ever do with it. Of course the lappy does have a DVD burner....

17. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,623   +320

@captaincranky - I actually bought one of those digital picture frames from a Circuit City many years ago to give as a gift.

A part of me wants to get a tablet, but I really can't think of anything I'd do with it that I'm not already accomplishing with either a laptop at home or a work provided smartphone when not at home. Maybe its worth the risk at $99.

18. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TS Guru Posts: 566   +105

I got my copy for free through my college is the only reason I have it. Anyways, it isn't as bad as people think. I never really have to use the tiles. I always have mine on the regular desktop and it works fine for me.

I don't blame you for sticking to an earlier version though but if you can aquire a copy for free, try it out. :D

cliffordcooley likes this.
  19. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

One by one the train is emptying. lol

20. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,804   +916

On my part I'd have to say, "no, not really". My interest in it rests solely on it's ability to show photos. So, to me it would be just this years model of a, digital picture frame".

I don't have wireless interwebz, I have no need for M$ Office, but I do know how to work a Redbox kiosk.

It's still a compromise size wise, but with the touch and stretch zoom function it would get your point across, better than trying to adjust the much larger laptop's lid angle to get the right color and density for the viewer.

Besides, you can't argue in favor of "holding out with Win 7", with these devices. They don't exist with Win 7, and retro-installing it would cost nearly as much as the tablet.

Anyway, I thought "we" agreed, my needs are "atypical", since they don't align with your perception of what they should be.:oops:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  21. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 653   +95

As these tablets come with x86 CPU is it possible to load Linux on them?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.