TechSpot

Latest Nexus 9 rumors suggest Nvidia Shield-like tablet hardware

By Scorpus
Aug 9, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. A couple of months ago the first bits of information leaked out regarding a HTC-made 9-inch Nexus tablet, codenamed 'Volantis', with Nvidia Tegra K1 internals. New details surrounding the upcoming tablet have surfaced, claiming its hardware might be similar to...

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,509   +2,056

It could be exciting if tablets are your thing.

3. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Maniac Posts: 481   +159

I think NVIDIA has finally got enough attention for their Tegra chips with the K1; I read also about an Acer Chromebook with the K1. Props for NVIDIA.

4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I wonder why they are ditching the budget tablet idea. Putting that type of power into a tablet is sure to raise the price. I won't be surprised if this is a high-end variant.

5. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,154   +1,429

Who cares about 64-bit hardware with installed 32-bit OS on it?

6. Are you certain they're ditching the cheap tablet thing? Google has a habit of pricing their phones and tablets as cheap as possible. The last Nexus tablet had pretty good specs when it came out and it was $230 bucks. I wouldn't be surprised to see this tablet cost $250.

7. Englishtechhead

Englishtechhead TS Rookie

As a guy living near Cambridge it makes me feel proud that ARM's business model allows a company to put there own stamp on there CPU'S allowing the customers to gain the benefits of choice and innovation at a low cost. I only wish desktop CPU company's had the same attitude, although I realize ARM aren't in the silicone game for peanuts I like there business model which allows nexus and other companies so much freedom to improve or utilize there product at a price point that the customer gains.

8. This will ship with Android L which brings 64 bit support. Nexus devices often launch with a new version of the OS.

9. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,324   +711

Another step on the inevitable road to a convertible device future. Touchscreens with attached keyboards (wireless, slider or flip-over) will be the standard. Ironically, the Surface could have been the real pioneer in this regard if it wasn't so overpriced and handicapped with a garbage OS.

10. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Evangelist Posts: 494   +126

android L is 64bit

11. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,154   +1,429

Is it not in Beta still?

12. HTC m8 . Is that you ?

13. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Evangelist Posts: 494   +126

yeah but it will be out of beta for release on this