Latest Snowden documents reveal the NSA has been spying on Huawei for years

Shawn Knight

Staff member

In what some may consider a case of the pot calling the kettle black, classified documents reveal the National Security Agency managed to hack into the servers of Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei.

Documents disclosed by The New York Times and Der Spiegel from NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden show the agency successfully gathered information about how Huawei’s massive routers and complex digital switches operate. The telecom claims their hardware is responsible for connecting a third of the world’s population.

The NSA also monitored communication between Huawei’s top executives, the report said.

A 2010 document outlines an operation named “Shotgiant” that aimed to find links between the telecom and the People’s Liberation Army. But the publication claims it went even further as the NSA sought to infiltrate Huawei hardware in a way that would allow them to spy on other nations once they bought hardware from the company.

Many of the nations, both allies and enemies, avoid buying American-made products and wouldn’t suspect any foul play from Huawei hardware.

The revelation is a bit ironic as it was Huawei that was deemed a national security threat to the US and Australia not all that long ago. The company tried to establish a foothold in the US a few years back but ultimately abandoned those plans late last year over growing cyber espionage concerns.

At this point, it’s probably a safe bet to assume that everyone spies on everyone else.

Permalink to story.

"At this point, it’s probably a safe bet to assume that everyone spies on everyone else."

This has been the case since at least 4,000 B.C.

What's interesting is the apparent level of transparency these so-called spy agencies have these days. I don't think a week has gone by in the past two years I haven't heard of some new revelation concerning the day-to-day affairs of the NSA & company. Ironically, we're now more in the know about what happens at the NSA than in the White House.

B-b-but spying on a potential adversary's government is what the NSA has been created for. Why this "NSA spies on foreigners" news is climbing up the top? When the NSA spies on us Americans it is shameful and illegal. But when the NSA is doing its job it is their business as usual, and I am glad to shell out my taxes so that they can do that. What is the news here--the government is finally doing its job? Oh boy.

B-b-but spying on a potential adversary's government is what the NSA has been created for. Why this "NSA spies on foreigners" news is climbing up the top?

Ad revenue.

What is the news here--the government is finally doing its job? Oh boy.

When the intimate details of a spy agency's activity are frequently appearing in popular news, it isn't doing its job. Clandestine intelligence operations by definition are not supposed to be painfully conspicuous.

Every rotten deed is coming to the surface... this is the true face of america...

Every rotten deed is coming to the surface... this is the true face of america...

...And China, and Russia, and Britain, and Germany, and France, and Italy, and [every other major state here]

The problem now is that they are getting info about absolutely everyone, they can use theirs analitical tools to get info about anyone they want, and we are talking about civilians, not targets like in the past.
But the real problem is than they use that info absolutely discretional, so, the people in the power know to much. Like in a perfect dictatorship. I really don't know how much time a good democracy can take that.

I agree about the benefics about the spying (more to protect again the future of terrorist attacks), but there are some people than trust to much in the people with access to the info, also, for every spying device they use agains the civilians, there should be three spying devices controling what they are using than info for. (sorry for the english)

Intelligence is very important in any type of warfare. In my opinion it is this kind of leaking that makes Snowden a traitor. It's time for Mr. Snowden to mysteriously slip down a flight of stairs and die. Of course I'm sure Putin is guarding his little show monkey closely.

Previously, russia said that snowden should no longer embarrass the U.S.A..
now that Russia is 'retaliating' against the west's interference in crimea, I believe Russia is now prodding snowden to spill more beans.

(at admins: I don't like the 'look' of the new techspot website but it sure loads a lot faster than before.)

If they are spying on the Communist dictatorship that runs China, the NSA is finally doing their job!
site will take some getting used to, but really, "interactions" instead of "comments"?

Intelligence is very important in any type of warfare. In my opinion it is this kind of leaking that makes Snowden a traitor. It's time for Mr. Snowden to mysteriously slip down a flight of stairs and die. Of course I'm sure Putin is guarding his little show monkey closely.

You're right. Spying on your allies (say, r example, Australia) is definitely how you enact better warfare. Planning in conquering us, are you?

I have an idea. Stop looking at everything in terms of warfare and wake the hell up...

You're right. Spying on your allies (say, r example, Australia) is definitely how you enact better warfare. Planning in conquering us, are you?

I have an idea. Stop looking at everything in terms of warfare and wake the hell up...

Apparently you've never heard of the phrase, "to secure peace is to prepare for war". How nice it would be if we could all hug one another and sing "Kumbaya" in peace and tranquility. But unfortunately we live in an imperfect world that does not suffer fools.

Apparently you've never heard of the phrase, "to secure peace is to prepare for war". How nice it would be if we could all hug one another and sing "Kumbaya" in peace and tranquility. But unfortunately we live in an imperfect world that does not suffer fools humans are everywhere!

Apparently you've never heard of the phrase, "to secure peace is to prepare for war".
Yeah and who ever said that was an idi-ot! You don't secure peace by starting a war. Starting a war is exactly what you are doing, when you prepare for war.

The US has been prepared for war for decades. Look at us now, our leaders are so bold we are at the brink of picking fights.

...And China, and Russia, and Britain, and Germany, and France, and Italy, and [every other major state here]
Yes but who controls the root DNS servers and effectively has superuser privileges over every SSL/TLS connection in the world? The real question is "Does any single state deserve this level of trust?".

Spying on Huawei by the states makes perfect sense to me. They'd be negligent to not want to know what Huawei routers do and how they work. Especially considering the degree of use they have worldwide.

Yes but who controls the root DNS servers and effectively has superuser privileges over every SSL/TLS connection in the world? The real question is "Does any single state deserve this level of trust?".
You mean who used to have control?

U.S. to relinquish government control over Internet

TechSpot posted the news, but I'll be damned if I could find the link using TechSpot search (powered by Google is meaningless).

Everybody's being spying on everybody forever, it's in our DNA. Even animals watch each other like hawks in case they miss out on something. With the explosion of technology and the internet it just shifted the goalposts a bit. Apart from that nothing's changed.

Everybody's being spying on everybody forever, it's in our DNA. Even animals watch each other like hawks in case they miss out on something. With the explosion of technology and the internet it just shifted the goalposts a bit. Apart from that nothing's changed.
there is only one thing that can unite mankind. perhaps it's time for some real extra terrestrial aliens to show themselves.

There is only one thing that can unite mankind. perhaps it's time for some real extra terrestrial aliens to show themselves.[/quote]

Resistance is futile! You will be assimilated - Borg

It's the hypocrisy, as the article puts it, "the pot calls the kettle black".

The American government loves to appear on moral high ground, somehow many people choose to believe it actually is.

Previously, russia said that snowden should no longer embarrass the U.S.A..
now that Russia is 'retaliating' against the west's interference in crimea, I believe Russia is now prodding snowden to spill more beans.

(at admins: I don't like the 'look' of the new techspot website but it sure loads a lot faster than before.)

Apparently 'the west' invested billions in propping up this so called 'revolution' which implanted extreme right wing fascists in Kiev. In fact, the whole problem stems from fixation of 'the west' to expand and encircle anyone who isn't willing to fall in line with their 'objectives'.

Apparently, this whole Ukraine farce is created for two objectives;the other one being to save European banks from defaulting due to probability of Ukrainian default on its loan (by forcing another huge $$$ loan on them).

Last edited:
Many people live in fear, so they come up with ways that fuel those beliefs (spy, war, murder, etc.). They give in to ego and say we are better than others so we are justified in behaving in a different way or the rules don't apply to us. Someday we may wake up and learn to live in love and feel compassion for others. It is as simple as making a choice in which world we wish to live in.

Remind me again, but isn't Huawei a "Chinese telecommunications company"? Why is it news that a "Chinese telecommunications company" is being spied on?

In other news, Russia gained the ability to bypass American intelligence monitoring and protocols. I wonder how they were able to get this ability...?

Back