TechSpot

Latest Windows 8.1 beta silently updates Windows Store apps

By Rick
May 6, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Users of Microsoft's latest Windows 8.1 beta (build 9385) have reported that Windows Store apps now silently update themselves without need for user intervention. If you value up-to-dateness but couldn't care less about developer release notes, then this upcoming change...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

I love reading what is new for apps. If Apple introduces this feature, I am turning it off.

3. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 894   +173

Indeed. I like reading changelogs. Honestly, I won't even update an app before I read the changelog. Sometimes apps change things I don't like and would rather stick with the older version.

m4a4 and JC713 like this.
  4. JC713

For me, it isnt that, but I can see what you mean. I like seeing what is new esthetically and under the hood. Plus I read reviews to see if the new version crashes, is glitchy, etc. I bet they will have an option to turn it off.

5. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 895   +134

I like the idea of installing apps automatically, but with an option to inform you that updates were installed with links to release notes.

6. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 894   +173

Absolutely! This is another reason why I read logs before updating. I've updated into bugged / glitchy builds countless times when not reading beforehand.

7. JC713

Hopefully it can alert you when the system is updating the apps like Windows currently does with OS updates.

8. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

Another issue is that store-sourced apps do not have alternative versions. If something screws up, there's no way to roll back!

(Yes, I know about rooting and titanium backup etc..)

9. JC713

Yeah, I wish there was some sort of rollback like with drivers.

10. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +108

This is nice, provided it doesn't auto update apps with permission changes, similar to Android.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.