TechSpot

LCD monitor displays in monochrome

By Kijana
Jun 27, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. Hi guys, I have an old cpu, HP Compaq dc7700 sff that is displaying in monochrome. I have tested several monitors, therefore I think the problem is with my cpu. I don't have a gpu card.

Thanks.

2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,657   +309

3. Kijana

Kijana TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 60

Hi, thanks. I have seen this answer.

My monitor is not displaying in black and white, it looks greenish. I have even tried reinstalling different versions of Windows, but it can't get right. I also don't have a dedicated graphics card.

4. Cycloid Torus

If your monitor works properly with another system, then I would think that the problem is with the video portion of your motherboard. Unusual problem.

I believe in cleaning as the first step to solving any problem... a bit of corrosion or a broken solder joint on a connector can interfere with transmission of color - for VGA connector pin 1 and pin 6 carry red signal - so inspect your connectors carefully under strong light and magnification.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guide-excellent-soldering/common-problems

5. bazz2004

bazz2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,232   +201

Try with a different cable between the PC and monitor. If no improvement Cycloid is most likely correct in which case you may want to buy a new computer.

6. Kijana

Hi guys.
    I found the problem was with connection of the feet to the motherboard.

Thanks a lot guys.

7. Cycloid Torus

Terrific!! Please give more detail about the solution... it will help us help others.

8. bazz2004

Well done.

9. Kijana

Hi guys. I really appreciate the help you gave me. I have learnt a vital lesson.

Unfortunately, am not good at soldering and such, so I'll look for a budget graphics card - maybe secondhand and go on.

Techspot rocks

10. bazz2004

Good thinking. Be careful to check that whatever card you choose will fit in the space available inside the case.

Kijana likes this.