LCD screen problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a toshiba m45 s169 laptop . My laptop LCD is not working properly -- it is a white ( blank) when I turn it on but sometimes when I move the screen around it would turn black with thin multicolored vertical lines. I have reseated the vid cable on the back, and so far it has not done anything. I want to know what could be causing this? When I plug the laptop to an external monitor, it works fine though so I don't think it's a video card problem. So is it the inverter board etc? Pls help me, thanks.

The inverter, sometimes called a backlight, has gone bad. The part can be as low as $7.00 US, or as high as $55, depending on where you get it. Often, they are available on eBay or from an online search
You can replace it yourself, but it will be ugly. You must CAREFULLY remove a large number of rubberized screw covers, then as many as 24 screws of different sizes. then the inverter which is about the size of a fat pen is at the bottom of the screen unit, behind the screen. It merely unplugs, and the new one plugs in its place. Then replace all the screws. The screw covers are going to be difficult to make look nice. You will need some rubber cement or similar substance.
First time job takes 2 1/2 hours for a newbie. After that, perhaps 40 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back