Leak reportedly details AMD's upcoming Vega GPUs

Scorpus

Staff member

A new report from VideoCardz has detailed AMD's upcoming Vega GPUs, with information allegedly originating from a leaked internal server roadmap, While reports like this should always be taken with a grain of salt, VideoCardz do have a decent track record with publishing early information.

The leaked roadmap suggests that Vega 10, AMD's performance GPU set to compete with the likes of the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080, is scheduled for launch in the first quarter of 2017. It will allegedly bring 64 compute units, which should total around 4,096 shader cores: the same amount as AMD's high-end Fiji GPU as seen in the Radeon R9 Fury X.

The report also states that Vega 10 will come with a whopping 16 GB of HBM2 providing bandwidth of 512 GB/s, and will feature 24 TFLOPs of half-precision (16-bit) compute performance. Listing 16-bit performance is interesting considering we normally see standard 32-bit performance metrics, however the figures provided by VideoCardz do point to decent gains on the R9 Fury X.

As for total board power, we're looking at around 225W from this 14nm part. The R9 Fury X had a rated TDP of 275W, so it looks like Vega 10 will provide a reduction in power consumption for an improvement in performance. However, depending on performance the card may still fall short of the GTX 1080's supreme power efficiency and 180W TDP.

VideoCardz has also detailed Vega 20, which appears to be a 7nm die shrink of Vega 10. This GPU supposedly includes the same 64 compute units, however memory has been increased to 32 GB of HBM2 with 1 TB/s of bandwidth, along with a total board power rating of just 150W. Cards that use Vega 20 will support PCI Express 4.0.

And finally, the report has briefly detailed three further GPUs: Vega 11, Navi 10, and Navi 11. Scheduled for release next year, Vega 11 will replace Polaris 10 in AMD's mid-range GPU line up. Navi 10 and 11 are future GPUs planned for release in 2019.

Permalink to story.

"However, depending on performance the card may still fall short of the GTX 1080's supreme power efficiency and 180W TDP."

Oh your brave making such a statement, I'm sure this will trigger another wave of comments that criticize it in every possible way with absurd forum post that prove nothing. Also didn't you know Vega is actually already available to some people and they already know it's faster than the GTX 1080? But hey this is true "Future Proof" unlike that Pascale based architecture that was just a blatantly simple copy of Maxwell with better efficiency...

Is anyone else completely baffled by AMD's naming schema? Just give us one goddamm name for each goddamn generation, and make each goddamn sku relative to the previous goddamn generation's sku, goddamn it!

Is anyone else completely baffled by AMD's naming schema? Just give us one goddamm name for each goddamn generation, and make each goddamn sku relative to the previous goddamn generation's sku, goddamn it!
I think the word you are searching for is "Goddamn". ;)

Navi looks more compelling, it features nexgen memory but as usual, nexgen ver. 2 will be even better. HBM sure looks like it's not gonna stick around too long.

Meanwhile Nvidia's card from 1997 still beats AMDs best. Kinda gave up on AMD I really don't even bother reading what they say anymore.

>[...] The report also states that Vega 10 will come with a whopping 16 GB of HBM2 providing bandwidth of 512 GB/s [...]

AMD will surely use Hynix's HBM2, which has been announced as 4GB @ 256 or 204 GB/s per stack.
16GB needs 4 stacks and should provide 816 or 1024 GB/s.

This leaked report's accuracy is questionable.

Meanwhile Nvidia's card from 1997 still beats AMDs best. Kinda gave up on AMD I really don't even bother reading what they say anymore.
It's really not that bad of a situation for AMD, They're on the right tracks, they just need to compete performance wise on the higher end.

Or were you just baiting HardReset? Because if so, I apologize for interfering *Moves along*

Meh, they sound good on paper and efficiency is a minor concern overall if performance is good. Problem is they need to actually make a card that overclocks well and performs great instead of some of the lackluster offerings as of late.

Meh, they sound good on paper and efficiency is a minor concern overall if performance is good. Problem is they need to actually make a card that overclocks well and performs great instead of some of the lackluster offerings as of late.
Not saying that it will be, but would over clocking matter if it was uncatchable by the second best? Basically if a heavily over clock Titan XP couldn't beat AMDs enthusiast offering would over clock performance still matter? Again not saying that it would be able to beat the XP seems they are targeting in-between nvidia high-end cards.

This rumor also details an RX 480 replacement with improved efficiency and performance per watt, something like an RX 480X. Doesn't seem like AMD made the naming scheme with this in mind though, this is one of the less likely rumors.

I hope it can compete with the 1080... the thing is, because AMD always seems to release its cards months after their Nvidia counterparts, in order to compete, they can't just match, they need to be better! Otherwise, why not get the established card that's been out for months...

I *really* hope that was a typo. Otherwise, I hate to think of the standards you use to compare GPU performance if you're going to compare nVidia's RIVA 128 (the GPU they released in late 1997) to ANY GPU available today (including low-budget ones like the GT 730, GTX 750Ti, or even an R7 360)...

I *really* hope that was a typo. Otherwise, I hate to think of the standards you use to compare GPU performance if you're going to compare nVidia's RIVA 128 (the GPU they released in late 1997) to ANY GPU available today (including low-budget ones like the GT 730, GTX 750Ti, or even an R7 360)...
Pretty sure he was exaggerating a bit... Although I LOVED my ATI Radeon 9700 Pro... 128MB of VRAM was double what any other card offered at the time! I could Play EA Sports' Fifa with actual rain!!!

So basically AMD's strategy is to decrease die size? if nvidia decrease die size as well how would AMD win in the same size?

So basically AMD's strategy is to decrease die size? if nvidia decrease die size as well how would AMD win in the same size?

It's still supposed to be a whole new GCN generation, they will still improve other things like they did on GCN 4. Basically we will prob get 1200-1500mhz fury X's with slightly more powerful shaders more memory with even greater bandwidth and in the same power level as 28nm Fury's.

I hope it can compete with the 1080... the thing is, because AMD always seems to release its cards months after their Nvidia counterparts, in order to compete, they can't just match, they need to be better! Otherwise, why not get the established card that's been out for months...

What I don't get in this case, is how people are saying the Vega 10 is supposed to compete with the GTX 1080.

The 1080 came out around May/June? And the Vega 10, who's supposed to "compete" with the 1080 is gonna be released.......early 2017? So AMD basically has a years time to study and see the benchmarks from NVIDIA and make their own card to....."compete"? Looks a little unfair.

Maybe a better competition would be against the NVIDIA's 1100's series which would place the gap within just a couple of months from each other.

What I don't get in this case, is how people are saying the Vega 10 is supposed to compete with the GTX 1080.

The 1080 came out around May/June? And the Vega 10, who's supposed to "compete" with the 1080 is gonna be released.......early 2017? So AMD basically has a years time to study and see the benchmarks from NVIDIA and make their own card to....."compete"? Looks a little unfair.

Maybe a better competition would be against the NVIDIA's 1100's series which would place the gap within just a couple of months from each other.

I don't know how you round less than half a year to "basically a year".

Once (if) the industry adopts Vulkan on a massive scale, then we'd all see AMD cards kick some major a**. Those 30-40fps increase in Doom is just a glimpse of what could be had in the future.

It isn't a year.... but unfortunately, this is the problem AMD faces... they have been late to the table with their high-end offerings, and so even if their cards are about even, they will lose out to Nvidia, since Nvidia has months of unopposed sales...

Also, this gives Nvidia the simple option of tweaking their existing cards, rebranding them and releasing them to counter whatever AMD eventually DOES release.... The 1080Ti, or whatever they end up calling it, is almost certainly simply waiting for AMD's counter to the normal 1080 - let's hope AMD's card is competitive with the 1080, or we might not even see the Ti!!

LOL, the point is, that the Vega ain't even out yet bruhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Count the months when the card is actually out. Knowing AMD, they'll delay it to the 2nd quarter......or 3rd...or 4th....or whenever...LOL

It isn't a year.... but unfortunately, this is the problem AMD faces... they have been late to the table with their high-end offerings, and so even if their cards are about even, they will lose out to Nvidia, since Nvidia has months of unopposed sales...

Also, this gives Nvidia the simple option of tweaking their existing cards, rebranding them and releasing them to counter whatever AMD eventually DOES release.... The 1080Ti, or whatever they end up calling it, is almost certainly simply waiting for AMD's counter to the normal 1080 - let's hope AMD's card is competitive with the 1080, or we might not even see the Ti!!

I would not be surprised at all if Nvidia beats AMD on the high end after Vega releases. I'd honestly pay more attention to the RX 480 replacement with improved performance per watt. Nvidia being able to counter the new cards is about as much of a questions as it is Vega releasing on time.

Vega isn't going to compete with the 1080... according to their trailer they're going to compete with VOLTA. AMD is skipping Pascal entirely and launching their next gen Architecture before Nvidia. Since Nvidia would look like *****s if they dropped Volta anytime soon (and piss off their customers,) if they outdate their 6 month old GPUs already. It's a good marketing move by AMD to put Nvidia in a bad spot. They CAN'T release competition, just lower prices. Once Volta hits Vega 20 will be around the corner. Should be interesting.

Vega isn't going to compete with the 1080... according to their trailer they're going to compete with VOLTA. AMD is skipping Pascal entirely and launching their next gen Architecture before Nvidia. Since Nvidia would look like *****s if they dropped Volta anytime soon (and piss off their customers,) if they outdate their 6 month old GPUs already. It's a good marketing move by AMD to put Nvidia in a bad spot. They CAN'T release competition, just lower prices. Once Volta hits Vega 20 will be around the corner. Should be interesting.

Do you have any links pertaining to your theory? I would like to believe it but nothing so far has indicated that VEGA is going to be that powerful.

Back