Leaked AMD roadmap suggests all 2016 APUs will be 14nm

Scorpus

Staff member

leaked amd apus amd cpu apu zen summit ridge bristol ridge basilisk styx

AMD's roadmap for the next two years has leaked, and it's filled with information about what the company is planning for their desktop and mobile CPU and APU lines. While 2015 will see a mix of 32, 28 and 20nm chips, 2016 is the year AMD will finally move to a newer, 14nm manufacturing process.

At the top of the product stack is a new flagship processor, which will finally replace AMD's aging 32nm Piledriver-based FX CPUs. This new 14nm performance chip is codenamed 'Summit Ridge', features up to eight Zen CPU cores without an integrated GPU, and will utilize AMD's upcoming FM3 socket when it launches in 2016.

Also using the FM3 socket is AMD's upcoming range of mainstream desktop APUs, codenamed 'Bristol Ridge'. Like Summit Ridge, these mainstream APUs are set to launch in 2016, and feature up to four Zen CPU cores. However, as these chips are APUs rather than CPUs, they will come with integrated next-gen GCN graphics and technologies such as TrueAudio and AMD's Secure Processor.

leaked amd apus amd cpu apu zen summit ridge bristol ridge basilisk styx

Bristol Ridge is also seen at the top of AMD's mobile APU line-up, with a targeted TDP of 15-35W. A similar product, 'Basilisk', will be available for small form factor desktops and low-power mobile products, featuring two Zen CPU cores and largely the same feature set as Bristol Ridge.

At the bottom of the stack is AMD's ultra-low power parts, codenamed 'Amur' and 'Styx'. Amur will launch in 2015 as a 2W 20nm SoC with up to four ARM Cortex A57 CPU cores and GCN graphics; while Styx is scheduled for 2016 with two custom-made K12 ARM cores and next-gen GCN graphics.

If the leaked roadmap is correct, 2016 will be a massive year for AMD. The launch of a new flagship part to compete with Intel's performance chips is long overdue, and it could well live up to expectations when produced on a 14nm node. All of AMD's upcoming 14nm APUs also sound quite compelling, especially as they support HSA 1.0 and feature brand new Zen cores.

Expect more information on AMD's plans for the next two years at their financial analyst's day, which is scheduled for May 6.

Permalink to story.

If it beats the Bulldozer family by a solid 5-10% in video games plus media encoding with reasonable prices, I am going to use it for all my builds.

"AMD's aging 32nm Piledriver-based FX CPUs"
Aging is an understatement, I think the author meant to say "decrepit".

If it beats the Bulldozer family by a solid 5-10% in video games plus media encoding with reasonable prices, I am going to use it for all my builds.

Did you mean 50-75%?

Anyway this is exciting news, or at least I hope it is.

All those leaks says that one Zen core (with multithreading) should be as fast as Piledriver module. But this is quite the jump in performance (some would say hardly believable) as it would be as fast as Haswell core. But one can hope I guess

There's a good chance this will be AMD's last shot at being relevant (at least on the CPU landscape). Hopefully this new ZEN design is competitive in both performance and power usage.

Why is there a huge Intel CPU picture next to the story on the main page?

Also I really REALLY hope AMD can finally get back to those athlon days where they were an actual good choice over Intel, nowdays all AMD is is a budget low performance solution to save money.

Did you mean 50-75%?

Anyway this is exciting news, or at least I hope it is.

If it were that much faster, AMD would have the performance crown again. Every video encoder would be using AMD, that's for sure.

"AMD's aging 32nm Piledriver-based FX CPUs"
Aging is an understatement, I think the author meant to say "decrepit".
Perhaps better yet, "fossilized"?

I'll be looking forward to seeing benchmarks from this new flagship. Perhaps Dr. Su will have her ship back on course.

Perhaps better yet, "fossilized"?

I'll be looking forward to seeing benchmarks from this new flagship. Perhaps Dr. Su will have her ship back on course.
Hopefully. I heard some of her passengers were getting seasick, or rather flatout sick with AMD's inability to compete with Intel in the upper echelons of processors.

Just give us an apu which can atleast match xbox one in graphics and i3 in processing department. The battery life will be awesome on a laptop and I would buy it on the furst day :p

I have seen many many many...... roadmaps that state that AMD is coming out with a new flagship CPU over the years. I simply don't believe it. I'll believe it when the big sites start posting benchmarks of the products that they have actually gotten their hands on, and have a chance to test.
Hopefully this upgrade (if it is real) will push the current FX CPUs down in price so many of us can finally get a cheaper upgrade for our AM3 motherboards... at the moment, it just isnt worth the upgrade cost. Anyone with a quad core phenom running at nice clock speeds (3.4GHz+) has to pay way too much money for too little upgrade over their many many years old CPU.
The FX-8350 costs $215 in Croatia. I'd pay about $120 for that CPU to upgrade, but not $215.
I don't want to do a whole RAM (which has gotten even more expensive, not cheaper) + motherboard + CPU upgrade.
/rant
I expect that if I buy a $120 (or any price) CPU, that I should be able to get a significantly faster CPU for the same price FIVE YEARS later. By the time those CPUs come out in 2016, it will have been more than 6 years.
I will hold on to my money until then, and maybe even longer depending on the prices and performance of the new CPUs.

"The FX-8350 costs $215 in Croatia" Whoa, they are milking you like cows :confused:. It's 180eur in Slovenia and much cheaper if you order it from Germany. Better even, you buy an 8320 with a decent cooler (and you really need at least something like 212evo, their bundled cooler is pretty mediocre and loud even for stock frequency anyways) and overclock it if needed

Back