"Leaked" Diablo III expansion video showcases new features

Russ Boswell

If you're a Diablo III fan, chances are you're already chomping at the bit to get your hands on the game's planned expansion, due to drop sometime in the near future (we hope). Diablo III: Reaper of Souls is promising some big upgrades to the game's replayability, as well as a brand new storyline labled "ACT V." 

Now we're getting a better look at just what to expect with the release, thanks to a "leaked" video that has shown up on Youtube. The 1:40 long teaser is a fast paced cinematic that opens with the introduction of new game modes. The bounty mode has players traveling to many different locales in order to seek out high priority targets. These bounties offer high exp and gold rewards (as well as loot, of course), and seem to prattle on endlessly in order to add a good chunk of replayabiltiy to to the title. There are also "nephalem rifts" that act as miniature events, tossing you into dark portals filled with powerful enemies.

We also catch a small glimpse at the addition of clans and groups, as well as the new, mysterious artisan, dubbed the Mystic. The Mystic will allow you to enchant your weapons and armors, as well as transmogrify items. This will let you keep the stats from one item while copying the look of another. This may be one of the more exciting features to hit the expansion, as it allows for much more customization across characters.

The video closes with a very brief look at the upgraded Paragon system, and the ominous phrase "death awaits," which should be no surprise to those of you that are working your way through Inferno mode. Those of you itching for some visuals can check out the entire trailer above.

What are your feelings about the new features? Are you excited, or disappointed? Let us know in the comments.

Permalink to story.

How does one get excited about that which does not matter? The RMAH ruined the game, even after Blizzard got rid of it, this won't bring back any one. Maybe its incentive for current players to keep playing it, but as someone who has played and dismissed it as trash and a total waste of time, will not be going back.

While I agree that Blizzard alienated it's die hard fan base, I am willing to forgive. Diablo and Diablo 2 were great games. D3 was a huge disappointment and I think they got the message. I am excited from what I saw in the trailer. I hope that they can learn something from Path of Exile. While weak on story POE is everything that D3 should have been and more. Dark, Mature, Bloody and Loot addictive. Blizzard can redeem themselves if they do right by their fans.

Path of Exile is the true successor to Diablo 2. But at least Blizzard is learning from Grinding Gear Games. Oh and Path of Exile shirts are banned from Blizzcon, lol.

Newbie here. so to play Reaper of Soul do I need to purchase the first Diablo3 first?
reaper of souls is a diablo 3 expansion so probably yes...

blizzard games history:
diablo 2 lord of destruction expansion requires diablo 2 game.
starcraft: broodwar expansion requires starcraft installation.
starcraft II:heart of the swarm requires the full version of starcraft II: wings of liberty and battle.net account to play.

While I agree that Blizzard alienated it's die hard fan base, I am willing to forgive. Diablo and Diablo 2 were great games. D3 was a huge disappointment and I think they got the message. I am excited from what I saw in the trailer. I hope that they can learn something from Path of Exile. While weak on story POE is everything that D3 should have been and more. Dark, Mature, Bloody and Loot addictive. Blizzard can redeem themselves if they do right by their fans.

Agreed entirely. I am not expecting much, but just perhaps they can bring Diablo 3 back to something I consider actually Diabloish

Diablo 3 would be an ok game had I not been expecting a Diablo game. If they would have named it Call of Demoncraft I may have enjoyed it. But it is just such far cry from what made the Diablo series so addictive that I can't play it without getting frustrated. Luckily we have Path of Exile as the spiritual successor to Diablo 2. After wasting $60 on Diablo 3 however, Blizzard is not getting anymore of my money. I am happily supporting Grinding Gear Games, an indie game company putting out a game ten fold better than Blizzard (don't believe me? try it, it is free).

The other game to keep an eye on is Grim Dawn, however I don't see it being completed for a long long time... having played the alpha, it is satisfyingly dark and gritty, but it needs a lot of polishing (and lots of content to be added).

I stopped playing Diablo 3 after getting 2 chars to max level however I can totally see myself buying the expansion, I liked Diablo 3 and think it was great fun to play with friends

Agreed entirely. I am not expecting much, but just perhaps they can bring Diablo 3 back to something I consider actually Diabloish
like Diablo 2:LOD HD Edition? I'm in since I liked the old personalized skill tree found in diablo 2 lod.

Path of Exile is the true successor to Diablo 2. But at least Blizzard is learning from Grinding Gear Games. Oh and Path of Exile shirts are banned from Blizzcon, lol.

Played it, hated it. Also tried Torchlight 2 and that's even worse. While D3 was not perfect and half of the features such as Clans should have been in the game since release, I still think it is a solid game nevertheless.

This expansion better not be full price, I would value it maximum of £19.99 and anymore than that, it's a no buy from me (I might stretch to £29.99).

I have spent money on RMAH and I do regret it (spent about £40) but **** happens (bah could have donated that money). Oh well, you learn from your mistakes. I wasted money on two games so far, that being SWTOR and D3 since I should have waited for couple of months for them to get cheaper/free as the full price I cannot justify.

Played a bit of D3 multiplayer on Xbox. It's quite boring to be honest. Base attack requires nothing but holding down button. Targeting is automatic. Lots of running back through the same area, same enemies.

Still looks terrible, however I'll be interested in the reviews (user reviews, not the bs sponsored reviews). I'm still very busy with Path of Exile, it is beyond addictive.

Back