Leaked photos show iPhone 5S with dual-LED flash, larger battery

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Multiple images of what is believed to be Apple’s next iPhone recently surfaced on the web. The photos show a device using a redesigned logic board – what looks to be the same one that showed up in photos earlier this week – that features a different layout for connectors and various other components.

The processing chip in the new photos, however, doesn’t carry the A-series stamp like the one in the iPhone 5. This could mean that Apple is going with a new chip for the next iPhone or simply that the photos are of a very early prototype that had yet to be stamped. The latter seems a more likely situation as a numerical code across the bottom of the chip indicates it was manufactured during the 43rd week of 2012 which would be sometime in late October.

iphone dual-led apple iphone 5s

The part number found on the battery indicates a higher capacity of 5.92Whr. The battery inside the iPhone 5, for comparison, is only rated at 5.45Whr – not a huge increase but it could be enough to retain usage claims if the new phone does indeed ship with a more powerful (and hungry) processor.

iphone dual-led apple iphone 5s

Finally the rear shell of the leaked chassis shows a vertical pill-shaped opening for the camera flash. It’s tough to tell from the blurry images but this could be the dual-LED flash we’ve been hearing about in other rumors.

Most expect Apple to launch the iPhone 5S perhaps as early as September alongside a budget-minded model with a plastic shell.

Permalink to story.

OOOOO dual LED flash! that's gotta be better!
*looks down at my Droid 2 from 3 years ago*
Oh nevermind...

as usual crApple. stop putting old features in your stuff and claiming its new. ill admit you guys are good with your software but your hardware is chumpsauce

Why two (sorry, DUAL) LEDs? One to help the camera focus and the other for the actual flash?

They better have something cool up their sleeves... last time they came out with a phone (the 5) without any significant features their stock price went down $150.

For the youngsters who may think this is a large battery, here's from the good old days...

07-siemens-c1.jpeg

OOOOO dual LED flash! that's gotta be better!
*looks down at my Droid 2 from 3 years ago*
Oh nevermind...

as usual crApple. stop putting old features in your stuff and claiming its new. ill admit you guys are good with your software but your hardware is chumpsauce

I believe is the opposite. Their hardware is solid and durable, but their software is a yawn fest.

Wow! Amazing photo! I wonder how people could carry such behemoths around every day! Thanks for the link!

Wow! Amazing photo! I wonder how people could carry such behemoths around every day! Thanks for the link!
Vanity will allow you to do almost anything and having one of those was a huge status symbol showing you had money.

Back