Leaked screenshot claims data-only plans coming to T-Mobile on March 30

Shawn Knight

Staff member

When mobile texting was in its early days, I heard countless people complain that it was a waste of time and would never last. Why send someone a written message when a quick phone call can accomplish the same thing? Phones are for talking; e-mail is for written correspondence.

The arguments seemed valid at the time but as we now know, the opposite is true today. People are using their mobile devices to connect to others primarily via text messaging and chat apps. Voice calls, although still common, are no longer the primary driver to sell wireless plans (virtually all plans now offer unlimited voice calls).

Data has become the main selling point for wireless service and if the latest rumor pans out, it would become the only factor for some plans from T-Mobile.

A leaked screenshot obtained by TmoNews shows the provider is planning to launch Simple Choice Data-Only rate plans starting March 30 (tomorrow). The data-only plans would begin at $20 per month for 2GB and scale up to 22GB monthly for $95 with several bucket sizes in between.

Would you be willing to give up traditional voice calling capabilities to save a few extra bucks a month? Could you get by on text messaging, Skype, WhatsApp, Google Hangouts and other communication apps or do you think it’s too early to let go of voice calling? Let us know where you stand in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

It's always been inevitable - all wireless plans were going to go data only eventually, the writing has been on the wall for quite some time now. T-Mobile (maybe not so unsurprisingly) was just the first one to hop on it.

As far as timing, personally I would have expected these announcements closer to the national 5G implementation timeframe, as opposed to right now.

Theyve already offered these for quite some time on their website, as tablet data plans. How are these different?
These can be used for phones, you can't do that with the tablet plans. I actually hope they add this since I would drop my number in a second, I mostly use my Google Voice number through Hangouts for calls anyway and 80% of the time I am on WiFi so getting a $35 6GB data only plan would be great.

Back