Leaked slide claims next-gen SandForce controller will be 3-4x faster than nearest competitor

Shawn Knight

Staff member

leaked sandforce flash nand ssd ssd controller sf3700

SandForce's next generation solid state drive controller has been in the works for quite some time. We first caught wind of the SF3700 back in November before it was shown at CES this past January and during Computex last month.

The SF3700 features a nine-channel flash interface with the ability to address up to 2TB of NAND. We were told it would be powering retail drives within the first half of this year but as you can see, that time has come and passed. So, when exactly will the chip show up?

leak sandforce flash nand ssd ssd controller sf3700

According to a leaked slide obtained by VR-Zone China (via The Tech Report), the chip will finally be ready sometime during the fourth quarter. In the meantime, SandForce will be shipping out completed B0 samples to partners early next week.

The slide also indicates that preliminary benchmarks show a 3-4x improvement over the nearest competitor in mixed workload performance. If true, that'd give the new controller and the drives it'll power a significant advantage over the competition.

New solid state drive technology is certainly needed at this point as we reached the ceiling of what current generation SATA controllers can handle some time ago. By all accounts, PCIe looks to be the future of flash storage technology with the latest Intel motherboards and Windows 8.1 primed for PCIe.

Do you currently use a solid state drive or are you still rocking a traditional spinning hard drive? Let us know in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

I got my first rig on SSD-s in 2009, and only use HDD-s for media storage ever since.

My first SSD machine was built with Intel X-25-s that after 4 years of usage never faulted.
My second rig was built with Samsung 840 Pro-s, back in July 2012, still using it.

Four family laptops equals four SSDs (Intel 80GB, Intel 120GB, Kingston 128GB, Plextor 256 GB) .... and one spare SSD (Toshiba 128GB). Once you have become accustomed to the speed of an SSD, you will never go back to a spinning harddrive for the operating system.

3-4 times faster? who cares! They should lower prices 3-4 times that would be News!

3-4 times faster? who cares! They should lower prices 3-4 times that would be News!
The price has lowered 3-4 times. You must have missed the memo. lol

The price is half what it was when I bought my SSD, and I remember making a comment when the price was twice what I paid. I've watched the price fall from more than $2/GB down to less than $0.50/GB. I waited till the price was less than $1/GB. If you don't think you are currently getting a bargain, your expectations are ridiculously high.

Why are you complaining about the price of SSDs? They're incredibly cheap now compared to a few years ago.

You can get a 120GB 840 EVO for like £60. That's crazy cheap.

>inb4 too small

If you use an SSD for storage, you're a *****.

Of course you're not getting a bargain .. fer instance samsung uses much cheaper TLC and yet their prices are the same as everyone else. t is obvious that ssd sizes are getting bigger and bigger for the same money. There are even less reasons for SSD to not get cheaper than Spinning HD. 3tb and even 16tb SSD are in use in industry and will trickle down when the Sata battleneck is broken. Look at the evolution in CPU. These are bargains perhaps compared tothe Past, but the Future is so much better ..and brighter. I'm looking forward to power efficient GFx cards

I'm going to refrain from commenting on some of these troll posts...
I've been using an SSD since 2007. Purchased my first Intel 80GB for $200; and that's right after the prices have fallen for the first time since release. Used this Intel drive up until 2012.
My second SSD was Samsung 840 Pro 256GB which I purchased in November.
My third, and most current, SSD is the Samsung 1TB mSATA which I'm using in my main rig....awesome drive! oh..and per Samsung website it's a MLC and not a TLC...even though newegg states it's a TLC.

SSDs are still more expensive than mechanical drives but every PC should have at least one SSD as it gives such a cost effective performance boast.

Back