Leaked Windows 10 screenshots reveal transparent Start Menu, new Live Tile animation

Shawn Knight

Staff member

leaked windows live tiles build conference start menu screenshots ui windows 10 leaked screenshots 3d live tiles microsoft build

Leaked screenshots purported to be from an internal build of Windows 10 have hit the web, revealing some of the subtle but important changes Microsoft has made since releasing the most recent technical preview.

The return of the Start Menu is one of the most anticipated features of Windows 10. The leaked screenshots from build 10102 reveal Microsoft has added a transparency effect to the pop-up menu, similar to Aero Glass from Windows 7. This effect doesn’t extend to app windows nor is it present when the Start Menu is expanded full screen.

Microsoft also appears to be moving away from the flat Metro-style flipping Tiles previously used. The new method is animated with a 3D flip effect. As The Verge points out, it’s a subtle change but one that matches the pop-up effect of the Start Menu itself.

Screenshots further reveal a tighter Cortana integration. Specifically, there’s now a hamburger-style menu that can be used to access settings and options. Once opened, they expand out from the left.

leaked windows live tiles build conference start menu screenshots ui windows 10 leaked screenshots 3d live tiles microsoft build

Microsoft’s annual Build conference for developers kicks off tomorrow and runs through May 1 in San Francisco. We’ll no doubt learn a lot more about Windows 10 and Microsoft’s other platforms over the coming days. The company hasn’t revealed when its new OS will launch outside of a broad “this summer” timeframe although AMD CEO Lisa Su recently let slip that it’ll be released at the end of July.

Images via IThome

Permalink to story.

The transparency and Cortana Menu button already exist in Build 10061 except for the 3D flipping tile. On the topic of 3D flipping tiles, I'm not sure about that. I like subtle.

My new motto: "Windows 7 Rocks, Windows 8 Sucks, Windows 10 SUCKS LESS!!! Reserve your copy, today!!!"

Little baby steps, as the months drag on and drag on. It took Valve 4 days to respond to user outrage. It takes Microsoft about 4 years.

Last edited:
The 3D tiles may just be MS doing some internal testing (it is a leaked build). we might not get it in the next or final build.

And those who think Windows 8 sucks is because they never used it, used it 3 years ago or just don't like the interface. There is nothing wrong with Windows 8.1, a lot of it is just users who don't know or take the time to learn/understand Windows 8.

Those that think Windows 10 was/is going to fix things, should realize that MS is simply moving onto the next generation of Windows. MS wasn't going to do this so soon but people complain so MS did what they thought was best for all. Making users happy but still making money on their software and create aa new Windows that can work on all devices. The days of 7 and previous OSes is over, dead.
Embrace the new or simply get left behind. If you don't like it then go have fun playin on Googles OS or Apples. Oh wait, they don't support anything lol

Windows 8 and Windows 10 give better performance and security over Win 7. Win 7 is getting old and outdated. I think if Win 7 got Service Pack 2 and delayed Win 8, things could have been much better but that's not what happened. Windows 10 will be better overall. Like it or not, the future of Windows is now 10. People complained didn't like 8 so MS listened and made 10. May not be what everyone wants but hey, it's not Vista lol

And those who think Windows 8 sucks is because they never used it, used it 3 years ago or just don't like the interface. There is nothing wrong with Windows 8.1, a lot of it is just users who don't know or take the time to learn/understand Windows 8.

Those that think Windows 10 was/is going to fix things, should realize that MS is simply moving onto the next generation of Windows. MS wasn't going to do this so soon but people complain so MS did what they thought was best for all. Making users happy but still making money on their software and create aa new Windows that can work on all devices. The days of 7 and previous OSes is over, dead.
Embrace the new or simply get left behind. If you don't like it then go have fun playin on Googles OS or Apples. Oh wait, they don't support anything lol

Windows 8 and Windows 10 give better performance and security over Win 7. Win 7 is getting old and outdated. I think if Win 7 got Service Pack 2 and delayed Win 8, things could have been much better but that's not what happened. Windows 10 will be better overall. Like it or not, the future of Windows is now 10. People complained didn't like 8 so MS listened and made 10. May not be what everyone wants but hey, it's not Vista lol

Who are you trying to convince? Yourself? The rest of us will keep on using Windows 7, a sensible and user-friendly OS that's just as secure, fast and far more stable than what came later. Go play with your ugly-*** mutant OS if that's what turns your crank..but don't get too attached because it'll be scrapped and replaced with something a lot more like Win7 soon enough :)

Who are you trying to convince? Yourself? The rest of us will keep on using Windows 7, a sensible and user-friendly OS that's just as secure, fast and far more stable than what came later. Go play with your ugly-*** mutant OS if that's what turns your crank..but don't get too attached because it'll be scrapped and replaced with something a lot more like Win7 soon enough :)

I agree with the guest and have stated my opinion on Windows 8.1 before. Apart from its schitzophrenic interface I don't find it that much different form Windows 7. On Windows 7 I press the windows key, then type the start of what I'm looking for an pick it from a list or if its only one match I hit return. Guess what I do with Windows 8?? Exactly the same. I remember hating going from Window 98 to XP as they moved options around and other things appeared more hidden than they used to be. This is the same with 8, other than the attempt to provide a touch interface in the same OS as the desktop mouse and keyboard interface. I think it's a brave attempt which hopefully will be improved upon with Windows 10 and future versions, although the brightly coloured play school big tiles which you can't choose the colour of aren't really appreciated in a work/professional environment.

User friendly? What is more user friendly in 7? Start menu program list, which nobody uses?
Familiarity. That's what is more friendly in Windows 7. Change the location of some settings, add a touch interface that you really don't have to use if you don't want to and people claim that Windows 8 is terrible. It's mostly Windows 7 plus some UI updates.

@Arris
+1 in general. Start Menu or Tiles, both are irrelevant for me (and other 'power users' I see at work or know personally), both of them have no use in my usage patterns. So I can relate with your comment about windows 8 being 7 plus enhancements. Beside, the fact is we all are at some point averse to radical change for one reason or another, and Microsoft choose to ignore this fact (and perhaps majority of 'users*') resulting in all this discontent.

If we don't "embrace the new" we won't get left behind, Microsoft will because no one will get this **** as their OS unless it works, understand? Not everyone is a mindless snob and eats whatever **** companies throw at them. I liked it better when there weren't many Guests to spew their nonsense elitist bs, bunch of paid shills.

I have used it and it's a mess in the none touch environment with unnecessary full screen apps and controls.

Guess ill be left behind, but Windows 7 will be perfectly fine for the next 5 years or more. Hopefully by then MS will have realized people want option an make there desktop customizable. Desktop user dont need those tiles why cant there be a simple option to hide them ? We dont need this ugly blocky UI. why cant they add option to have nicer looking Win 7 style one ? all Simple solutions that can make people happy that for some reason there to lazy to add. Wen spending 8 hours or more a day looking at a computer I want something that looks nice and something that makes sense for what im doing. Tablet , smartphone and touch screen options have no use on the desktop and should not be forces on us.

Hope Microsoft will do something about not allowing 3rdparty programs to be the default, or even older versions MS programs which work normally in Win 8.1.--- And More important,fix their FIND/SEARCH generates endless false drops. Even with a unique file name, one gets a list of totally unconnected items on the resulting list. At the same time, FIND /SEARCH occasionally fails to find the file you just saved to an unknown folder.
The power shell 3rd party, Windows XP/7 type Start menu is infinitely better than the Metro screen.
Oh but to use Windows XP on my new PC, the best since 2000 and 98.

No you are incorrect. People hate windows 8 and for good reason. The numbers do not lie. Why don't you put some data behind your blather? of that is right you cannot. Windows 8 is horrid in EVERY WAY. Windows 7 is tricked out smooth fast and down right awesome. 80%+ market share. If Windows 10 follows 8 in any ways..it will fail. Now YOU get with the program.

Back