TechSpot

Leap motion controller now shipping, coming to Best Buy on July 28

By Shawn Knight
Jul 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The Leap motion 3D gesture controller is now shipping following an unexpected delay. It was initially scheduled to ship on May 13 but CEO Michael Buckwald said back in April they simply needed more time to test the device before...

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,791   +541

As I wrote here sometime earlier, I'm not buying into the reason for the delay. They claimed the hardware was fully finished and they just needed more time to polish the software. In the meantime, they tell us the box is easily upgradeable for newer software. Under such circumstances, considering how many people were expecting the product's release, it seemed like an odd strategy.

Other than that, I'm very much interested in seeing real reviews from people, and if turns out to be good, I'm buying it right away. I just put together a great new rig with Windows 8 Pro, which on my 30" screen is half-useless with all of its Metro stuff. Maybe Leap Motion can breathe in new life in it, to take best from the both worlds - Leap Motion for the Metro and traditional inputs for the desktop mode.
  3. I do not think it is compatible with Windows 8 yet.
  4. Never mind, I saw that Froggle says it is for Win 7 or 8, so it does support it.
  5. DKRON

DKRON TS Enthusiast Posts: 559   +11

I still want to see this for smart tv's as well, much larger market there if you can turn a normal tv into touch for 2000 instead of 10000
  6. Kneep

Kneep TS Rookie Posts: 40

Would love to know if this would work in the livingroom, I have my PC hooked up to my 80" 3D Sharp and would love to gesture from the couch :)
  7. DKRON

DKRON TS Enthusiast Posts: 559   +11

You just gave me an idea!
  8. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,942   +899

Sounds like a great idea/product. Too bad it did not get great reviews.
  9. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,791   +541

I just went through all the latest reviews after the product release, and it is really disappointing to know this thing is far away from being a productivity tool, something I hoped for, to bring life to Metro UI.

Maybe later on as they improve the UI it will become something more than a gimmick...
    JC713 likes this.
  10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,030   +738

It has potential. I'll wait for gen 3 if it ever gets that far.
  11. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,942   +899

Yeah, I was disappointed also. It is just another Ouya. It has a great dev team with a great concept and endeavour, but they did not give themselves enough time.
    VitalyT likes this.

12. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 191   +13

That is pretty cool technology.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.