TechSpot

Learn hands-on programming with the Raspberry Pi 3

By TS Dealmaster
May 17, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. Since the Raspberry Pi debuted four years ago, it's piqued the imagination of computer enthusiasts everywhere. Users have been able to make this credit card-sized computer do almost anything expected of a desktop or laptop -- including web browsing, word processing, or gaming --without needing extensive programming expertise.

The buzz around the Pi only intensified earlier this year with the introduction of the latest model: the Raspberry Pi 3, now available in an all-inclusive package bundled with essential coursework.

At about 3 inches by 2 inches, the Pi 3 is still the same size as its predecessor, but the retooled model has some major improvements, including a 50% boost in processing speed, built-in WiFi and Bluetooth capabilities. The Pi 3’s 1.2 GHz quad-core processor and 1GB of RAM are also ready to handle anything you throw at them, including Python and Scratch-based projects.

In addition to the Pi 3, you’ll also get seven vital courses to help shape your Pi knowledge:

• Quick Starter Kit for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
    • Wireless Penetration Testing with Kali Linux & Raspberry Pi
    • Cluster Pi: Build a Raspberry Pi Beowulf Cluster
    • Raspberry Pi Essentials & Extras
    • PiBot: Build Your Own Raspberry Pi Powered Robot
    • Raspberry Pi: Full Stack
    • Raspberry Pi & The Internet of Things

These courses will show you not only how to use the Pi for basic functions, but serve as a foundation for any digital project you can dream up -- from music machines and parent detectors to weather stations and tweeting birdhouses with infrared cameras.

The entire kit consists of the Pi 3 board, a host of essential components, and the over 21 hours of training described above. It's available now for $119, more than half off MSRP -- so grab one now before supplies run out.

Permalink to story.

2. mcborge

mcborge TS Maniac Posts: 211   +121

This bundle looks nice. I have a pi model a and a pi 2 model b but I haven't gotten around to getting a pi 3 yet. I've read that the pi 3 can get very toasty so when I get round to picking one up the first thing I will do is add a heat sink.

3. murray02

murray02 TS Rookie

You any suggestions for the setups? I have one of the older Pi's and I think I could do with some suggestions about some lightweight installations. I find a lot of issues with newer keyboards and mice with a LOT of lag. I am trying to get into Python and could do with a decent platform to match my Linux work env (RHEL/Centos).