Left speakers not working. Weird!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugsy

This is just plain weird. I have four speakers (front and rear). The speakers on the right are working but not on the left (yes, I've checked my settings. This is NOT a software issue!)

Now for the "long" version: I have a cat that likes to chew on wires. Last night, she bit through the speaker wire on my FRONT speakers connected to my monitor. A quick patch job later, and I'm only getting sound from the right speaker. Obvious answer would be that my patch job was bad.

BUT...

I have two WIRELESS speakers in back, and only the right speaker is producing sound there as well! After checking the balance and every other Windows setting you can think of, I tried booting into LINUX and had the same problem: no sound on the left. So this is definitely a hardware problem.

I use an EXTERNAL USB sound "card", so I checked all the wires to/from it. They are all fine; unmunched on with no bite marks.

The front and rear speakers aren't even plugged into the same jacks, so I'm clueless what they have in common!

Can anyone confirm whether or not a broken speaker wire to *one* speaker can kill audio to ALL speakers on that same side? I have no way of testing the wire to ensure it's not broken somewhere along the line.

Too weird. Please help.

As the feed is from an amplifier any kind of short will no doubt damage the amplifier section of the card.

Regards

Crap! This card is barely a month old! I hope it wasn't fried!

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back