Legal vs. Illegal

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MartinJK

Hello tech friends.
I have a question regarding software and if there is any way to tell it is a fully legit legal copy.
I have recently purchased some older out of production games from ebay. The seller claims that the games were "factory sealed". By all means the software came sealed, however I did notice something. Usually when buying software from department stores like Bestbuy, Staples, Future Shop, inside the game box is a little magnetic chip (this is also found on audio CD`s,) that will trigger the alarm when leaving the store unpaid. How do these things get 'inside' the box from software from department stores if the games are factory sealed, and they are not found in sealed boxes bought from sellers? Also, is there any ways of telling if the software is a legal copy or a great looking knock off?
Any links to articles will be great.

Thank you.

The way a lot of those chips get inside the cases is by the store warehouses breaking the seal, adding the chip and resealing them again...
Or it is done by the distriubtor at the retailers request...

So if that is the only reason you're questioning the legality of the programs, I wouldn't be too afraid. But having a look at some of the links in the search Howard posted couldn't hurt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back