TechSpot

Legaly fix busted CD or copy?

By spartanslayer
Dec 23, 2005
  1. I had the Dungeon Siege Legends of Aranna. I accidentaly scratched the CD so bad it won't run. Is there a way to download and fix it by making a new CD? Thanks.

2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,291   +25

No legal way to do it I'm afraid. Copying it to a new disk is ur best option.

3. spartanslayer

spartanslayer TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 464

But how can you copy a protected CD?

4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,506   +237

You might be able to replace the damaged CD with proper proofs of purchase or whatever MS requires. Go to their site to find their game disk replacement policies. There might be charge but at least it's worth checking into.

5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Yes, you can ask MS for a replacement.

Most software licenses say that you have the right to install and use a copy of the software on one computer. It doesn't matter where you obtain the program from or how you install it. So downloading the game off p2p and installing it is no problem - you have the legal documents to show that you own the game and you even have the original media.

6. spartanslayer

spartanslayer TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 464

OK, good news. I called Microsoft and they're sending a replacement for free! Talk about good service!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.