Legit version of XP moving to its new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillAllen55

After reading the threads regarding using a Windows Home OS in another environment, I'm not yet clear if it is legal to take a Authenticated version of Windows XP and move it to a new build that I will be using for my own needs? Provided of course that I have the passcode key, Bottom line is I was the one purchasing the OS from Microsoft and am wanting to use it again in my new build. Is this considered 'ok' by Microsoft?

You will have to select your country and call MS (it is toll free number and it is rather quick) when activation fails, and you need to answer a few questions.

Questions are:
Is this the first time activating this copy of Windows (NO)
How many system is this copy installed on (ONE)
Were there major hardware changes (Yes)
Again, how many systems will this copy will be used on (ONE)

Most times you will be given long series of numbers to enter in the box and you're done, sometimes the automated attendant will transfer you to a person that will ask you same questions and then read you the code to enter and you're done.

Sometimes activation just fails even on the same system, which you need to explain why you re-installed XP, may be due to viruses! In case of hardware change with the GUID completely different, a motherboard crash or general upgrade is a good enough reason.

You're welcome

I have a suggestion if your CD has SP2 only.

Search for NLITE and download it.
Download XP SP3 standalone install.
Use nLite and slipstream Sp3, make a CD and use that CD to install.

If you only have SP2 or earlier, you will have to re-activate after applying SP3 to your installation most probably, this way you only activate once and there are less mess in your Windows folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back