Leica's first instant film camera is the $299 Sofort

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Renowned German camera maker Leica on Thursday announced its first instant film camera, the Sofort.

Named after the German word for “immediately,” the Sofort utilizes Fujifilm’s Instax Mini film (or Leica’s own branded film, if you choose) and features an optical viewfinder, front-facing flash and multiple shooting modes including people, macro, sports / action, double exposure and of course, automatic.

There’s also a self-timer if you want to jump into a group picture and of course, a selfie mode (there’s even a tiny mirror on the front of the camera to help frame your selfie).

For those not familiar, a modern instant camera is much like the old Polaroid cameras in that whatever you shoot gets printed out immediately. In this case, printed images measure 3.4 inches x 2.13 inches (roughly the size of a standard credit card).

In this day and age of digital cameras and Instagram, this clearly falls into the novelty / retro category which can be loads of fun given the right situation.

The Leica Sofort goes on sale in November priced at $299 in your choice of white, orange or mint green color schemes. If that’s a bit more than you’re interesting in spending, Fujifilm will sell you one of its Instax Mini cameras starting at around $50 or you can try Polaroid’s Snap instant camera for under $100.

Permalink to story.

Wait a second... I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks on me or wait but I'm pretty sure that was not a real picture in the video. Starting at the time marker 00:24 just watch the top left of the photo the guy is holding. The thing he's holding will wobble but the "photo" won't wobble.

I have no idea if this will actually be a good product or not, just an observation of the video.

Wait a second... I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks on me or wait but I'm pretty sure that was not a real picture in the video. Starting at the time marker 00:24 just watch the top left of the photo the guy is holding. The thing he's holding will wobble but the "photo" won't wobble.

I have no idea if this will actually be a good product or not, just an observation of the video.

I agree. It's worse when you watch it in full screen.

Looks like someone's got to work on their Adobe Aftereffects camera tracking / key framing skills.

Looks like something in the background was moving, causing a reflection on the top left of the photo. Gee, you mean a commercial is fake??

If I had $300 gift card to Leica I'd pick this up. (Cause this is pretty much the cheapest thing they sell) I really thought they'd price it above $500.

If I had $300 gift card to Leica I'd pick this up. (Cause this is pretty much the cheapest thing they sell) I really thought they'd price it above $500.
Perhaps they plan to make more money with the photo paper. like printers with ink cartridges.

Back