Leicel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Emachine computer with Windows Xe. I recently lost the start strip at the bottom of the windows screen as well as all of my desktop icons. I tried to get it but could not fix it. I decided to start using my new laptop and semi retire the Emachine, however I would like to keep it up and running. I decided to re do it and restore the whole thing, big mistake. I think I lost everything. Is it possibel to somehow run the restore again and get back at least what the computer came with? I lost windows and all I think. The only restore disks that I have are the Emachine disk one and two that came with the computer. Is that alll I need to restore and will the windows xe be on there? I'm pretty stupid about all of this, any help is great.

would it be possible to retrieve anything I lost. I did not save anything before I ran the restore and when I did it really did not work right. the prompting was all off. If I could only go back to at least what I had. Boy these computers are hard for me. Thanks any help.

I decided to re do it and restore the whole thing

If you used your recovery disks, then yes you may have lost everything
If you used System Restore in Xp, then No

So which one have you used
And possibly state some of the prompts that you received
ie "Restore your computer back to defaults - Yes / No"

I noticed you are online
But I need to leave for a while, will be back later; you may also receive other replies

I put in the system restore disc and the menu comes up System Restore windows xp. the two options are l. restore windows xp or 2. boot to command prompt from cd rom. Please sel 1 or 2. When I select 2 it comes up A:\> and I selelct 2 again, then it says bad command or file name. SHould I have selected 1 or 2 and if so then what. thanks

i did the complete system restore and it all worked, but when it came back up it tried to open windows and said that the windows system was corrupt and to load it from a cd rom. I do not have a cd for windows because the computer came with windows xp. So what do i do now? Is it possible to get windows from somewhere, or to download it from another computer?

That restore disc, is it made for your computer
If so, then when you restored it (you decided on option 1 eventually I see) do you see any of your old data ?

The restore (for your computer) shouldn't be showing errors
Unless:
That restore disc is not meant for that computer

You have other hardware attached (printer; camera; modem...) that requires drivers (In this case remove all extra plugged in devices)

You have a hardware fault

In regards to Windows Xp disc, no you cannot download it, and if you do decide to borrow one, it must be the exact same version as yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back