Lenovo announces Windows 10-powered, $199 Miix 320 Chromebook killer

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Chromebooks like Acer’s Chromebook 14 are an excellent alternative to budget-minded Windows laptops yet even with the recent addition of Android apps, some still prefer a Microsoft operating system.

If you fall into this category and happen to be in the market for a low-cost 2-in-1 Windows machine, Lenovo’s just-announced Miix 320 may be worth a look.

The Lenovo Miix 320, marketed to millennials and post-millennials that juggle multiple side jobs via the “gig economy,” features a 10.1-inch full HD (1,920 x 1,200) touchscreen display driven by Intel’s Atom X5 processor, Intel HD graphics, up to 4GB of RAM and up to 128GB of eMMC local storage.

The Windows 10 machine also includes 802.11ac (2x2) Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2 combo w/ Wi-Fi card, Dolby Advanced Audio speakers, 10 hours of battery life, optional dual antenna LTE connectivity, a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera, a 2-megapixel webcam, a USB Type-C port, two USB 2.0 ports, a micro HDMI port, a microSD card slot, a nano SIM slot and a combination audio jack.

The system with keyboard measures 17.5mm (the tablet is 9mm and the keyboard dock is 8.5mm) and tips the scales at 2.25 pounds.

The Lenovo Miix 320 goes on sale next month starting at just $199.99 for the Wi-Fi only model with included keyboard dock. It’s not a powerhouse of a system but given its price, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a comparable Windows setup.

Permalink to story.

I understand the size limitations but the drive size is a big turnoff. Do you know which X5 it comes with?

I think the author fails to understand what the difference between a PC and a Chromebook is. People buy Chromebooks because: A) It's super easy to use. You can't say that about a PC; B) It's super easy to maintain. You can't say that about a Windows PC because there is just too much settings and the need for anti-malware C) It's affordable and disposable. Here you can say that the PC can match this criteria based on this Lenovo's price, but let's get real here. Lenovo is out there to make money. The author doesn't think that Lenovo will make a Miix computer for the Chromebook too?

LOL...for the past few years, there supposedly has been a number of Chromebook killers in the wild at not one...ONE...has been able to kill of the ChromeOS machine at all.

Well, yes and no. Chromebooks are differentiated by their software, but also price and value. So that's the point of a decent equipped Windows 10 PC at $200. I'd have preferred a ~12-inch laptop with no tablet features though.

Like previously stated, it can't be a "chromebook" killer since its not the same thing and not for the same purpose. It would be if Lamborghini came out with a car saying it was a "Honda killer". Different market, different audience, different usage, different intent.

I think the author fails to understand what the difference between a PC and a Chromebook is. People buy Chromebooks because: A) It's super easy to use. You can't say that about a PC;
Oh yeah, I forgot how users are baffled while using computers, it takes a rocket scientist to use one. Ok let's talk about people that have no idea about computers but have been using windows and know how to open the explorer... then put a chromebook on their hands and watch them don't know which password to use to login.

B) It's super easy to maintain. You can't say that about a Windows PC because there is just too much settings and the need for anti-malware
LOL... remember when the Apple fans said the same thing? Kibaruk remembers. Also yeah, I've never heard anyone complaining because they can't turn a setting...

C) It's affordable and disposable.
So something on the same price bracket is not affordable nor disposable simply because it's Windows? Your logic is heavily flawed.

I would pick the Windows computer any time over the Chromebook part. You forgot the biggest and meanest of them all reasons: It can run windows applications.

Back