Lenovo partners with Razer to tackle gaming PC segment

Shawn Knight

Staff member

One of the world’s largest PC makers is joining forces with one of the most recognizable gaming accessory brands to create a new line of gaming PCs. Lenovo and Razer have announced a partnership in which they’ll co-brand and co-market special Razer Edition models based on the former’s Y series devices.

A press release said the effort will combine the manufacturing, supply chain and channel relationships of Lenovo with Razer’s immersive technology and deep expertise. Or in other words, Lenovo will design and engineer systems while Razer will add gaming-inspired touches like customizable lighting effects.

One would assume that Razer Edition systems will also come bundled with Razer input devices and software although nothing of the sort has been confirmed.

PC Mag is on the ground at DreamHack Winter 2015 where a prototype Razer Edition system is on display. Specs aren’t really being discussed but the crew did confirm the demo system is packing a pair of Nvidia GeForce GTX graphics cards in SLI.

Lenovo has earned a reputation as a business PC provider but in actuality, the company already offers several gaming-minded computers (although none appear to be terribly impressive). Working with Razer gives Lenovo the opportunity to focus on gaming PCs as a segment and if the DreamHack prototype is any indication, we may finally see Lenovo bring some serious gaming hardware to the table.

Razer Edition gaming PCs are slated to launch sometime next year. Lenovo confirmed the demo system would be on display at its CES 2016 booth in January.

Permalink to story.

Wow, what a group of negative comments. I don't personally use razer, but my brother seems to love their stuff. I do love my Lenovo Y510p and it's dual gpus. Maybe, if the pricing is right, and this includes laptops (I build my own desktops) one of these will replace my Y510p someday.

Wow, what a group of negative comments. I don't personally use razer, but my brother seems to love their stuff. I do love my Lenovo Y510p and it's dual gpus. Maybe, if the pricing is right, and this includes laptops (I build my own desktops) one of these will replace my Y510p someday.

Let's be honest here, Lenovo and Razor deserve the criticism they get. Lenovo had a huge maleware issue with their computers. You can't simply ignore them installing a backdoor on every one of their PCs.

Razors are cheap, no way around that. A quick stroll around the web will give you a large sample of just the amount of issues people experience with their products. Want to take any and all opinion out of the equation? Razor uses cheap chinese switches in it's products and their mouse sensors haven't been top notch for the last 5 years.

I cannot think of one product they have released in while that made me want to buy one of their products. Other companies have been innovating while Razor has been leaning on it's brand and older designs.

Let's be honest here, Lenovo and Razor deserve the criticism they get. Lenovo had a huge maleware issue with their computers. You can't simply ignore them installing a backdoor on every one of their PCs.

Razors are cheap, no way around that. A quick stroll around the web will give you a large sample of just the amount of issues people experience with their products. Want to take any and all opinion out of the equation? Razor uses cheap chinese switches in it's products and their mouse sensors haven't been top notch for the last 5 years.

I cannot think of one product they have released in while that made me want to buy one of their products. Other companies have been innovating while Razor has been leaning on it's brand and older designs.
If I take a quick stroll around the web for any brand I run into that sort of thing.

Yeah, I'll pass on all Lenovo computers; why would I purposely and knowingly have my system infected?? It would be different if I could do a clean install, but even that is not possible since it's all they way down in the hardware level!

...wait! What am I talking about. I wouldn't be buying a computer anyway - I build my own ;)

Back