Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Review

Jos

Staff
Last edited by a moderator:
We've had X1 Carbons at my work for a few years now and they are indeed fantastic. Really great reliability, solid construction, great performance and very portable.

I think this is as close as it gets to mobile perfection, but if I was in charge I'd replace that PCI-E x4 960 EVO SSD with a SATA 3 MX300 one. You'd lose a few seconds of your life but save $250 at least. Considering the small size of the drive, it's clear that it's not intended for massive data transfers so that was a poor choice.

As a tech site, you'd think they'd know the name of the red joystick in the middle of the keyboard for mouse control.

Its a trackpoint http://www.lenovo.com/us/en/thisisthinkpad/innovation/trackpoint-unique-to-the-thinkpad.shtml

I wonder if Lenovo are the only ones allowed to use it. I used to have an old Acer Laptop which also featured it. It pretty much disappeared. Its a nerves safer, mousepads are just horrible and aggravating in general. Its also a must to have actual buttons for the mouseclicks.

If the Thinkpad Yoga wouldn't cost so damn much especially considering the rather modest hardware they put in it... damn.

I think this is as close as it gets to mobile perfection, but if I was in charge I'd replace that PCI-E x4 960 EVO SSD with a SATA 3 MX300 one. You'd lose a few seconds of your life but save $250 at least. Considering the small size of the drive, it's clear that it's not intended for massive data transfers so that was a poor choice.

PCI-E 4x vs Sata 3 is not splitting hairs. You want PCI-E ... but it's better to put one in yourself and save the coin that way.

As a tech site, you'd think they'd know the name of the red joystick in the middle of the keyboard for mouse control.

Its a trackpoint http://www.lenovo.com/us/en/thisisthinkpad/innovation/trackpoint-unique-to-the-thinkpad.shtml

I wonder if Lenovo are the only ones allowed to use it. I used to have an old Acer Laptop which also featured it. It pretty much disappeared..
Certain Dell Precision notebooks also come with a blue trackpoint. Still, nothing beats a mouse. If I'm at a desk, out comes the mouse. I really need my thumb buttons.

PCI-E 4x vs Sata 3 is not splitting hairs. You want PCI-E ... but it's better to put one in yourself and save the coin that way.

A few seconds can be twice as fast for any data transfer below 1/2-a-TB.

"splitting hairs" would fall into nanoseconds.

However I do agree that Lenovo should provide an option for a SATA3 SSD from the get go.

My four-year-old Dell XPS-15 can be user-upgraded to FOUR TERABYTES (4 TB) of storage media (a two-terabyte drive of a spinning HDD, plus 2TB SSD ) on the motherboard, and at least 32 GB DDR3 memory. Can the Lenovo, and other brands be similarly user upgraded, as costs of hardware decrease, and other hardware pieces improve?

It's got four layers of carbon-fiber reinforced chassis and a magnesium alloy roll-cage. Calling it plastic is a disservice.

If you wait 5 months you'll probably find a good discount. I got the last gen X1 for $500 off with a coupon. Brilliant machine.

Certain Dell Precision notebooks also come with a blue trackpoint. Still, nothing beats a mouse. If I'm at a desk, out comes the mouse. I really need my thumb buttons.

Yes absolutely the mouse reigns supreme. The trackpoint is nice when you don't have the space for a mouse like inside a train or so. Its nice to use when there's no mouse at hand.

We have these deployed at our company. To me it's like the glock of laptops. Simple, effective, and reliable.

Thank god they went away with the half-assed touch bar thing before this gen, that model we had a lot of issues with.

My four-year-old Dell XPS-15 can be user-upgraded to FOUR TERABYTES (4 TB) of storage media (a two-terabyte drive of a spinning HDD, plus 2TB SSD ) on the motherboard, and at least 32 GB DDR3 memory. Can the Lenovo, and other brands be similarly user upgraded, as costs of hardware decrease, and other hardware pieces improve?

I have a Eurocom M5 Pro, it has 3 M.2 ports (one of them is occupied by the WiFi card and will not take SSDs due to the physical keying) and 2 HDD bays (7mm 2.5" HDDs only) which nets you 2 HDDs (up to 4TB) and 2 SSDs (up to 2TB) for a combined total of 6TB. It also has 4 SO-DIMM slots and I have 32 GiB in mine.

Finally, I get the latest E580 for a friend
simply fantastic, all the spec above,
excl. the ports

edit:
for the screen, Lenovo learns about it
3 years ago, Y60 4k res - the worst yellow ever
then I realize why is that cheep :)

Last edited:
Back