Leslie Benzies is developing the game I've always dreamed of

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Former Rockstar North studio lead Leslie Benzies has formed a new development studio with offices in Edinburgh, Scotland and Los Angeles.

According to a report from VentureBeat, Benzies’ new company – which doesn’t yet have a name but is hiring – consists of around 30 employees. Some of the more than two dozen staffers are former Rockstar colleagues, we’re told.

Benzie’s team is actively working on their first game. Everywhere (a working title) is said to be a massive open-world game where you can do, well, virtually anything. Benzies said it has a lot of traditional game mechanics but they’re going for something more that draws inspiration from “everywhere.”

The producer and designer noted that they want players to have the real freedom to live in the game world in the ways they want to, adding that they aim to offer a huge variety of game modes and styles that not only tell their stories but enable players to live in the identities and adventures they most want to explore.

The game is being built using Lumberyard, the cross-platform AAA game engine that Amazon launched nearly a year ago based on the architecture of CryEngine.

While there’s little to go on at this point, I, for one, am incredibly excited to see what comes of the project. I’ve always been interested in the concept of a real-life simulator where you can just roam free and do whatever the hell you want as nearly every object can be interacted with.

I had long ago told myself that such a game would never materialize because, well, who besides me would be into that? Turns out, I’m not alone.

Permalink to story.

As someone who has experience in the industry, this sounds great. BUT the more they want, the longer it will take (and doing "virtually anything" sounds like a heck of a lot. And even more if they go for realistic graphics). I am reminded of Star Citizen in a sense (with how ambitious it is and how much time it is taking).
Adding "everything" will take a lot of time and testing and, unless they get millions of dollars, I'm not seeing how this will work out...

The more you do, the less well you do it. That's the general pattern, anyway. Trying to do everything perfectly normally ends up with a game that is cancelled before it is complete.

It sound like the player can be racist, sexist, homophobic, abusive, autocratic, dictatorial, oppressive, aggressive, brutal etc. All the good qualities they'd really like to have in real life but cannot. Great. I'm looking forward to see how things pan out with it.

It sound like the player can be racist, sexist, homophobic, abusive, autocratic, dictatorial, oppressive, aggressive, brutal etc. All the good qualities they'd really like to have in real life but cannot. Great. I'm looking forward to see how things pan out with it.

If you can quote a single line from the article that suggests any of those specific things are "what they'd really like to have in real life", or that they've even considered those specific things as things that will be the game, please quote it.

If you can't, I would suggest you evaluate why it is you choose to see those things in your mind as the first response to this news, as it will probably tell you more about yourself than it will about this article or it's contents.

If you can quote a single line from the article that suggests any of those specific things are "what they'd really like to have in real life", or that they've even considered those specific things as things that will be the game, please quote it.

If you can't, I would suggest you evaluate why it is you choose to see those things in your mind as the first response to this news, as it will probably tell you more about yourself than it will about this article or it's contents.
You're a psychiatrist? I'm impressed. Please deduce further O' wise and knowledgeable one, you've piqued my interest.

Got news for ya...everyone makes judgements

Got news for ya...everyone makes judgements
Making things up with no facts to back them up isn't a judgement, it's just making things up.

They sure do, problem is... they're almost always wrong. But anyway...
It's not that what you said is wrong. What you said is total fiction. Which would still be fine/ignorable if it wasn't the fact you were heavily insinuating that the developers were racsist/sexists/homohobes etc just because they want to try and add realism to a game (with no mention of any such activities even being designed).

Making things up with no facts to back them up isn't a judgement, it's just making things up.

It's not that what you said is wrong. What you said is total fiction. Which would still be fine/ignorable if it wasn't the fact you were heavily insinuating that the developers were racsist/sexists/homohobes etc just because they want to try and add realism to a game (with no mention of any such activities even being designed).
Of course what I said is complete fiction. It's bound to be a GTA type game, not realistic in the slightest but fun and temporary escapism. Most people enjoy that kind of thing and I'm no different in that regard, I was merely being sarcastic, cynical & dry in my comment but it was obvious that you missed it altogether or misunderstood it entirely.

Of course what I said is complete fiction. It's bound to be a GTA type game, not realistic in the slightest but fun and temporary escapism. Most people enjoy that kind of thing and I'm no different in that regard, I was merely being sarcastic, cynical & dry in my comment but it was obvious that you missed it altogether or misunderstood it entirely.

My apologies if you were being sarcastic. It seemed (to me) like a genuine an uncalled for insult against people. But if that is not the case, then that's fine.

I came back to this article because of the new one. Don't worry skidmarksdeluxe, your sarcasm isn't lost on me. I got what you were saying. lmao.

Back