Lexmark T614 Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot get the printer to network. I have run an Ethernet cable from a switch connected to my router, and I have DHCP setup (I think) on the printer, but nothing shows up in the DHCP table of the router. This is my first time at a 'real' networked printer (as opposed to just sharing one) and I have no expertise. Any suggestions? I figured the router would recognize the printer, assign an IP and we'd go from there, but nothing....????? :(

I'm in XP, BTW.

Thanks for any help.

Did you restart the printer after you connected the network cable? Do you have a link light on the router showing that the printer is connected?

Usually such network devices come with a utility that works on the ethernet level and allows you to configure the thing even if you don't have a DHCP server on your network. Rummage through the printer CDs and see if you find one.

Thanks for the reply. I got the printer at a state surplus store, so while it works, there's nothing that came with it. I've attempted to get utilities from the Lexmark site, but I haven't hit upon anything that has the magic combination of a) making sense to me and b) working. The info seems to be geared to the IT professional who already has a good knowledge of such things and skips a lot that a consumer might need.

Yes, I've had the printer power cycled numberous times and yes, the lights on the switch show a device connected as well as the light on the NIC in printer showing up. I'm hoping that the NIC in the printer is good, but so far have no way of knowing how to verify that short of swapping parts, which I don't have.

I'm thinking that the printer possibly has a built-in print server (or is that a given that I don't realize?) that would need to be configured. I can manually assign it an IP address from the LCD screen on the printer, but still nothing shows up on the router.

I can't complain since it only cost me $20, but it would be sweet if I could get in on the network as a standalone networked printer. So far, just head banging on the wall..... :confused:

If you assign an IP manually, then it will not show up on the router. Just configure the thing via LCD and then try pinging the IP address from one of your computers.

Yes, all network printers contain a print server :)

Go look around for the Dell equivalent, and get Dell drivers for it from their website.
The full Lexmark name is probably: Lexmark Optra T614N

Well, I'll be darned.....

Nodsu said:
If you assign an IP manually, then it will not show up on the router. Just configure the thing via LCD and then try pinging the IP address from one of your computers.

Yes, all network printers contain a print server :)

I just pinged it and I'll be darned if the bulit-in print server software didn't come up. It even shows an emulation of the LCD screen. And I'm pinging it from one of the wireless-connected computers on the home network. Very cool indeed.....now to figure out how to make it go, but at least I know it's there!!!!!

Thanks much!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

Excellent!!!!!!!!!

It prints!!! I just added the printer by it's IP address, XP found it, I told it what kind of printer it was. It's installed and running now...first printout already came through and the LCD screen emulation even told me that the paper tray was low.

Thanks much for the encouragement and info! :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back