TechSpot

LG announces G Flex with curved 6-inch display and 'self-healing' back cover

By Scorpus
Oct 27, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Several weeks ago we got the first glance at LG's first curved-screen device, and today the company made it official. The LG G Flex includes most of the specifications we were expecting, such as a vertically-curved six-inch 720p OLED display,...

Read more

2. But unable to use unless you are a gorilla ;)

3. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,110   +45

Gorilla speaking here...

misor and cliffordcooley like this.
  4. Acespaces

Acespaces TS Member Posts: 77   +6

Think we'll every see tablets with curved glass?

5. TechGamer

TechGamer TS Booster Posts: 424   +38

Idk why would I need a curved smartphone its not like im going to place an expensive phone on my *** cheeks pockets so the form fits right onto my cheeks besides what if it is easily noticibale and someone can easily snatch it

6. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 957   +116

Pretty sure its curved to better fit your face when talking on it and watching videos (to some people this is important) How it's more "noticeable" to thieves, well you lost me there, its not excessively curved so it won't bulge that much in your pocket, or is it any more susceptible to snatch and grabs compared to other large phones.

This curved glass tech is only just starting, likely more devices will follow. The self "healing" coating sounds similar to what Infinity came out with a couple years back, I think there was an article posted here even.

7. TechGamer

but what if my pockets are on my back of the pants there more to be seen then on front pockets im not saying that many people put them there but there are posibilities that it will bounce since u know on the back theres less pocket space they would be relitevaly noticable

8. Not sure why you would think that a Curved screen offers any better experience for viewing a movie or video on a phone.. To that point I can't find one person or article that actually gives any valid points as to why a curved screen would be better then a flat screen.. besides.. do you really want a curved phone sitting closer to your head? a phone doesn't have to HUG the curve of your face to work..

cliffordcooley likes this.
  9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,425   +822

As other people have mentioned here, for the life of me I can't see any advantage to having a curved phone apart from the uniqueness & bragging at the moment. The Samsung Round can still conform to the curvature of you leg somewhat when placed in your front/side pocket but this thing curves the wrong way unless you place it in your butt pocket, just don't sit down.

10. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,195   +751

Hence the

I agree it's a good possibility this curved screen fad burns out on the launch-pad.

11. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Enthusiast Posts: 423   +41

Still don't see the point... and couldn't they have done this a long time ago anyway? LCD's are just flexible plastic anyway, you could use some other light source other than florescent or LED to illuminate the screen.

We are all waiting for OLED flexible displays that can be rolled or folded up when not in use. That is what consumers are really waiting for.

12. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 467   +85

Its easier to use with one hand if the display is bigger to reach everywhere with your thumb than it is with a traditional flat surface where you simply cannot reach the opposite corners.
    There is just one simple reason why the curve is a good idea.

Also nanomachines on the back panel maybe?, I smell replicators in our future.

13. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

Boooo. Only a 720P display...

14. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 957   +116

Cut them off and glue them on your face? back pockets are the single most useless thing, can't sit properly and if you do your just going to cause yourself back pain in the long run. Relatively noticeable compared to a wallet I don't think so, besides I've yet to meet someone dumb enough to use their back pockets for their phone, you might be the first. But hey, go ahead, sit on your phone, break it in half, I can care less.

15. TechGamer

I never said I did but if I would probably sit on my phone my as..s bone would be screwed not the phone if u know what I mean :) but I do agree with u that the back pocket is pointless but theres always a chance that some people might put it there I never said alot do it but there might be ...theres always a posibility for the first time haha :p

16. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 281   +32

Im more interested in the "healing cover" :)

17. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,595

It is just a phone JC. Not like the screen is 10 inches in size.

18. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

Try putting your pants on backwards.

Let me put that another war, "try putting ur pants on backwards"...

19. TechGamer

brain hurts but I got it. meanie

20. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

Haha true. But from such a "high end" (new tech) device, you would expect the best.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.