LG announces new 5.5-inch QHD+ display for an upcoming flagship

Scorpus

Staff member

LG has announced that they've begun mass production of a brand new 5.5-inch QHD+ (2560 x 1440) IPS LCD panel, which is destined for inclusion in a "forthcoming flagship smartphone to be unveiled at the end of the month." In other words, LG has unveiled the display the company will use in the G4.

The 5.5-inch display's QHD+ resolution delivers the same pixel density as the display used in the G3: 538 PPI. However the upgrade that this new display brings is in brightness, which LG claims is 30 percent higher without any impact on power consumption.

The new QHD+ display also packs a color gamut rated at 120% of the sRGB spectrum, which provides richer and more accurate colors (provided proper color management tools are in place). Some of this improvement to color gamut can be attributed to LG's high color gamut LED backlight, which combines a blue LED chip with red and green phosphors for better accuracy.

LG claims their new display features a contrast ratio 50% higher than "conventional QHD LCD panels" thanks to photo-alignment technology. This technology uses UV light to "form a liquid crystal alignment layer in the display panel", which evenly aligns the liquid crystals to reduce light leakage and improve the contrast ratio.

Finally, LG has slimmed down the panel through advanced in-cell touch technology, which embeds the touchscreen into the display layer instead of placing it on top. All up, this display set to debut in the LG G4 sounds like a pretty decent improvement on last year's screen.

Permalink to story.

It is about time for QHD displays to hit the phones... I am wondering why companies are still releaseing laptops with sub QHD displays and whine that there are not PC sales... it is obvious the technology is so far behind no one wants to buy it

About time what do you mean my g3 has the exact same screen and boy do I love the screen blows any other one out if the water

Back