LG brings its 15-inch ultra lightweight Gram notebook to the US

Shawn Knight

Staff member

LG is a household name in the US as its brand is commonly associated with consumer electronics like televisions and smartphones. The South Korean technology giant is also well-known in other parts of the world for its line of personal computers, products the company only recently brought to the states.

Following the US launch of its 13- and 14-inch Gram notebooks late last year, LG is now introducing its 15-inch variant to the American market complete with updated internals.

The super lightweight laptop features a 15.6-inch IPS LCD panel operating at a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 that’s driven by your choice of Intel’s sixth generation Core i5-6200U (2.3GHz, Turbo up to 2.8GHz) or Core i7-6500U (2.5GHz, Turbo up to 3.1GHz) alongside 8GB of DDR3 RAM.

The Core i5 model includes 256GB of solid state drive storage while the i7-equipped notebook ships with 512GB of local flash storage.

Both include dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, an HDMI connector, a USB 3.0 Type-C connector, two USB 3.0 connectors, a single USB 2.0 connector, a microSD card slot and a headphone jack. Battery life is rated at about seven hours from the 2-cell 4,495mAh battery pack.

The system is comprised primarily of magnesium, a lightweight material that affords a total system weight of just 2.16 pounds. That is extremely light for a 15-inch class notebook.

Pricing is set at $1,099.99 for the Core i5 variant and $1,499.99 for the faster i7 model, both of which are available as of writing from Amazon, B&H and Fry’s Electronics.

Permalink to story.

Put my hands on one of these at Fry's last week.
Nice machine but too expensive for what you get.

1Kg is quite light. Plus a charger, external mouse, an external hard drive or two, a few USBs, USB to phone adapter, USB hub, HDMI cable, network cable ...

Back