TechSpot

LG drive - HELP!

By tooner19
Nov 13, 2005
  1. Good day to all, brand new here. Usually I can figure this stuff out, but not today. I just got an LG Super Multi DVD/CD Rewriter. Needless to say, I encountered some problems.

I installed the drive on a Win2k machine. I put a DVD in and closed the tray. Suddenly my monitor turned off. My machine was still on, the cpu light was on constantly. Nothing I did worked. I ejected the media and my computer rebooted. I tried a couple of more times with different cd's and dvd's, same result.

I then installed XP...same issues. The LG is the only drive that I have installed, I have one hard drive running and I have a 400W power supply...which I think would be enough. There were no IRQ conflicts, on either OS. I'm running an AMD 1800 with 512 RAM. Any thoughts from anybody?

Thanks in advance...

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

Besides an optical drive, to play DVDs you need a software DVD player (unless you have a hardware decoder), what player are you using?

3. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 856

Optical drive shuts down system

If you can't read a data CD with out this happening I'd take the drive back as faulty.

4. tooner19

tooner19 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Nevermind

Thanks anyways guys. I figured it out today. I updated the firmware and that seemed to do the trick.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.