LG dvd burner won't read dvds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had a LG DVD/CD Burner installed in my laptop and it will not read any kind of DVD. It will read Data and Audio CD's fine. When I insert a DVD the light doesnt flicker like its trying to read it and when I click on the DVD drive it says insert disk into drive. I have a Dell Inspiration 8200 with Windows XP. I have down loaded K-lite CODEC thinking it might be missing a decoder and still get the same thing. I have downloaded the AVS DVD player and still nothing. I also have ROXIO burning software on my PC. Can anyone help me out. Oh yeah i have uninstalled the Driver and the DVD/CD burner and let windows reacquire and still nothing. I am kind of lost on what to do now. Thanks for any help.

Bill

Sounds as if it is defective. Since it must be new, get it replaced under warranty. There are separate lasers in the LG for reading CD data and reading DVD data. The DVD laser is probably out of alignment, which sometimes happens during shipping.

There is not a way for the user to do the alignment. You need a signal generator and a special tool to made the ever so slight adjustment. It can be done in a good shop, but most do not invest in the equipment to do this since the drives are available for $45 or so.

Raybay,
Ok. Thanks. So should i just replace the entire DVD/CD Burner then? If so do you have a recommendation? I have a Dell Inspiration 8200.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back