LG Gram ultra-thin laptops updated for 2017, all under 2.5 pounds

William Gayde

LG has announced pricing and availability of its updated 2017 family of Gram laptops: their ultra-lightweight and portable lineup. The LG Gram is situated in the lightweight and portable at all costs market with competitors like the Acer Swift and HP Spectre. Of the six new models announced today, all of them weight less than 2.5 pounds.

The launch brings laptops in three different sizes and multiple hardware configurations. Features across the board include IPS panels and very narrow bezels around those displays. Powered by 7th-gen Intel Kaby Lake processors, LG is positioning the new Gram notebooks as high-end devices for content creators and those that carry a laptop wherever they go.

The smallest and lightest is the 13.3-inch LG Gram 13Z970 which features 8 GB of RAM, a 256GB SSD, optional touch screen, and weights in at just 2.07 pounds. It's priced at $999 for the non touch model and $1099 for the touchscreen variant, with 17.5 and 15 hours of battery life respectively.

Moving up to the 14-inch models is the touchscreen 14Z970. The more affordable option comes with an i5 processor, 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD. It retails for $1199 and a reported 14.5 hours of battery. The more expensive and slightly upgraded $1499 model features an i7 processor and a 512GB SSD. Both weight 2.14 pounds.

The largest model is the 15.6 inch 15Z970. It comes with both a $1199 i5 and $1699 i7 variant. The i5 model packs 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD, while the top of the line i7 model has 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD. The i5 version has 15.2 hours of battery life, while the i7 is estimated to last for just 12.5 hours.

Permalink to story.

2.5 pounds = 1.13 kg

I recently bought a 2 pound laptop to use as a secondary portable system to my 15" workstation, and it makes a world of difference when I need portability more than I need raw horsepower.

Is it unreasonable to want a laptop with an i5 and 16GB of RAM? :)

As a web developer, who relies on WebStorm IDE, and a number of console processes running in parallel, I get real benefit from 16GB of RAM required by the heavy Java applets, and a very fast SSD, like M.2, while the CPU doesn't give me that much value.

Is the ram dual channel? makes a world of difference for the integrated graphics and no manufacturers have that info readily available, especially with the ram is soldered.

Is the ram dual channel? makes a world of difference for the integrated graphics and no manufacturers have that info readily available, especially with the ram is soldered.

On a laptop like this, who cares? It's not going to matter because you are so performance limited from the CPU anyways.

On a laptop like this, who cares? It's not going to matter because you are so performance limited from the CPU anyways.
can get anywhere from like 10-40% performance increase for 3d gaming, which would be nice despite that not being the market for this laptop. the HD520/620 graphics are alot better than previous intel graphics comparatively speaking. Sure its not a main feature to brag by any stretch about but its still a plus to a more savvy audience. as a power user I prefer more portable laptops as I do most heavy work on my desktop, but id still like every last drop of performance I can get out of a laptop regardless of how comparatively slow the chip is

Back