TechSpot

LG joins the Chrome OS party with 21" all-in-one Chromebase

By Jos
Dec 18, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. LG is joining the small but growing list of companies offering Chrome OS devices. Rather than going with an inexpensive Chromebook laptop like most of its peers, however, the company is putting Google’s cloud-centric operating system into a 21.5-inch all-in-one...

Read more

2. penn919

penn919 TS Enthusiast Posts: 158   +12

I love the look, but I haven't a clue why anyone would want to use Chrome OS on a desktop. Light weight operating systems are good, but they don't make much sense in stationary machines that can pack so much power.Why limit yourself with a cloud OS? Don't people need to do work anymore?

3. At work, our IT groups have a mandate to develop all applications to be web based (no desktop applications anymore). I personally think ChromeOS is absolutely the future (and I'm a Windows fan).

4. penn919

penn919 TS Enthusiast Posts: 158   +12

Yeah, I understand that cloud apps are becoming more mainstream and that's great, but it doesn't change the fact that you can still do way more with a real OS. Chrome OS is a perfect fit for an ultrabook, but never on my rig at home because some things you'll never be able to do in the cloud. On Windows, Mac, and Linux you have the best of both worlds.

The rise of cloud apps ultimately means that lower powered devices like tablets and smartphones will gain increased functionality but will never out do computers running local software.

5. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

Mush be under 400 bucks, and they need Wifi or it is crippled out of the gate at least in the states.

A bonus would be touch... I'd be sold with the above and touch. Getting 1080 screen is a good touch... (sorry no pun intended.)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.