TechSpot

LG launches the G3 with metallic skin, WQHD display

By Scorpus
May 27, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. As expected, LG has launched their latest flagship Android smartphone, the G3, today at events in New York and London. The handset brings a number of improvements to the table, making it a worthy upgrade to the LG G2 released...

Read more

2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

Oh man. That looks delicious. Dat bezel. New best phone?

3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Probably xD. Top notch specs.

4. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 285   +33

Great looks... great specs.... lame after sale support.

5. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

They claimed to be able to take snapshots of moving objects with their new laser focusing camera. But 276ms to focus is insufficient for that. Only still shots can benefit from the new camera.

They kept the battery from G2, in which it was enough for one full day, but now that the specs went way up, the same battery may be not as lasting anymore.

The choice of processor isn't good either. It takes 805 with its Adreno 420 to drive screens above 1080P, while 801 doesn't have the kind of power. Expect sluggish gaming.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

The question is how this compares to other phone cameras. Is this an improvement, or a laser show hoax?

7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

I think the rose and lilac models look nice, I wouldn't mind a phone in either colour. Black & white are so half an hour ago that I'm tired of them.

8. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

It's roughly twice as fast as the fastest current phone, the HTC M8. Anandtech actually measures this and there's a nice graph in the HTC One Mini review here (http://www.anandtech.com/show/8004/htc-one-mini-2-review/6) However... what Anandtech measures in reality and what LG claims for marketing purposes may be very different. I would bet though that it'll be the fastest reacting smartphone camera to date.

cliffordcooley likes this.