TechSpot

LG monitor won't turn on after power outage

By xjsjag
Sep 28, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. LG Monitor W2242T

We had a blackout & when the power returned my monitor didn't.. it's flashes the LG logo on a black screen if plugged into the PC or not..any ideas ??

2. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 544

There is a always a possibility that the monitor is fried due to high-voltage kickback which, according to Lenz's law, can happen when blackouts occur. Although, this seems rather (if not very) unlikely if the house/wall socket is well-grounded.

Does this screen always behave like this when plugged into a PC?

Does the screen even display an image? (Be specific, what does "flashes the LG logo on a black screen" mean?) Because if the screen IS displaying an image, it might just be the VGA-connector. Or, hopefully not, the "screen-recognizer"... :dead:

3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Try using another monitor connected to the PC to verify that is is the monitor and not the video card/ motherboard

4. xjsjag

xjsjag TS Rookie Topic Starter

Loka : First thing that popped into my was it's fried..but the LG Logo flashing on & off made me wonder.. if it was fried wouldn't there just be a blank screen ?? this is the first time i've seen the Logo.

No..the screen is blank until the PC is turned on..

Logo is the normal LG..L is the nose & the G is the outline if the face with a wink..here a link to show you what i mean .. Hmmm..i can't post links yet..if you paste this in your browser you'll see the little fella that's doing all the flashing.. attitudethatneverfails.blogspot.com/2009/03/logo-lg.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tmagic: I have 2 monitors setup to my PC's ..the other is working fine..

I just thought that LG face flashing on & off laughing at me might (just by a slim chance) mean there's still life in it..lol

Thanks for the replies..

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

"Tmagic: I have 2 monitors setup to my PC's ..the other is working fine..."

Does the working monitor run normally in the suspect monitors connector?

6. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 544

Well, good to see that atleast the monitor isn't fried.
    (Thanks btw, I now get what you mean by "flashing logo".)

"Tmagic: I have 2 monitors setup to my PC's ..the other is working fine..."

What happens if you plug the flashing monitor into the other connector?
    And as Tmagic650 noted: vice versa?

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

check it on another system. Also see if there is an internal fuse.