LG unveils LG Watch Urbane smartwatch ahead of Mobile World Congress

Shawn Knight

Staff member

watch urbane android wear apple android lg smartwatch wearable lg g watch r lg watch ubrane

Less techie, more watch-like seems to be the recipe that most of the latest smartwatches abide by. Such is the case with LG’s latest, the peculiarly-named LG Watch Urbane.

Looking to beat the Mobile World Congress crowd with its announcement, the Watch Urbane is more or less an LG G Watch R with improved aesthetics. What makes the Watch Urbane tick (no pun intended) is the same 1.2GHz Snapdragon 400 SoC mated with 512MB of RAM alongside 4GB of onboard storage.

The circular P-OLED display measures 1.3 inches and carries a resolution of 320 x 320 which works out to 245 pixels per inch. The Android Wear wearable also includes a nine-axis gyro / accelerometer / compass, a barometer and a heart rate monitor - all powered by a 410mAh battery.

watch urbane android wear apple android lg smartwatch wearable lg g watch r lg watch ubrane

It comes with an IP67 rating for dust and water resistance although it’s not meant to wear in the shower or while swimming.

The watch features a narrower bezel compared to its predecessor which gives it sleeker lines. It’s encased in a stainless steel body available in your choice of polished silver or gold finish and comes with a natural leather strap. The strap can be replaced with any 22mm wide watch band for added versatility.

LG said additional details including price will be announced in local markets at the time of availability. I suppose that rules out any hope of ascertaining such details at next month’s MWC.

Permalink to story.

It looks like a real watch, that's the best design so far. The only thing to fear now is battery life, that's a lot of tech for just a 410mAh battery.

The watch features a narrower bezel compared to its predecessor which gives it sleeker lines.
Damn, how come I never came up with this after wearing my watch for 35 years... it needed a thinner bezel, well of course!!!

Is the term dumb watch out there yet to follow the suit?

Last time I bought watch was in 2005, for 600 euro, best money ever spent, super light and durable (full titanium case):

jr3060_59f-big1.jpg

Never needs to recharge (with solar panel for the dial), and 10 years later it seems to be good for another 20 :)

I'll go with the dumb watch any time :)

Come now, bring out your own watch, I know you want to... :) :) :), geek's time :) :) :)

Last edited:
Who wears a watch for time keeping nowadays? I still think these ewatches are a fad. Prove me wrong.

I have the LG G Watch R - and I love it. The software leaves a little bit to be desired, however if you are looking for a smartwatch (or in some cases, even a regular watch), I'd heavily suggest checking the LG G Watch R out.. can't speak for this brand new device, although it seems to be mostly a copy of the G Watch R.

As for battery life, I have no issues with my watch. 2-3 days easy, as long as you aren't raping the screen all of the time. At that point, you may as well have your phone out. It feels, looks, and performs great. The biggest hurdle I see for most people is buying it, and then expecting it to (in some aspects) replace the functionality of your phone, instead of being a supplement.

Damn, how come I never came up with this after wearing my watch for 35 years... it needed a thinner bezel, well of course!!!

Is the term dumb watch out there yet to follow the suit?

Last time I bought watch was in 2005, for 600 euro, best money ever spent, super light and durable (full titanium case):

Never needs to recharge (with solar panel for the dial), and 10 years later it seems to be good for another 20 :)

I'll go with the dumb watch any time :)

Come now, bring out your own watch, I know you want to... :) :) :), geek's time :) :) :)
Nice watch!

My citizen also doesn't need to recharge, but it does stop telling time sometimes while it's in the dark... like in the locker while I'm working out. (It's not the quality of yours though, I'd bet.)

big_bm601055a.jpg

Nope. Not nearly there yet. Keep trying manufacturers, there's a chance you may just get it right before this silly fad wears off.

Too bulky IMO. The second gen Moto 360 will probably be the best option... the design is phenomenal but the hardware is currently lacking. Once they replace that really old CPU and make the battery bigger, then we are talking an amazing smart watch.

You don't need to spend too much money either to get a good quality watch. I spent about £135 in 1991 on an Adidas watch and it is still going strong now other than the leather strap having been replaced a few times due to wearing away.

Back