LG unveils the G Pad 8.3, their first tablet since 2011

Scorpus

Staff member

LG has officially taken the wraps off the G Pad 8.3, the company's first tablet since the mediocre Optimus Pad of 2011. The G Pad was originally expected during IFA 2013, but it appears LG was too eager to show off their new device, instead unveiling it over the weekend.

The G Pad 8.3 features an 8.3-inch display, like the name would suggest, with a resolution of 1920 x 1200 for 273 pixels-per-inch. Internally the device packs a Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 chipset, with its quad-core Krait 300 CPU clocked at 1.7 GHz, alongside 2 GB of LPDDR2 RAM and 16 GB of internal storage.

pad google android tablet lg g pad g pad 8.3

Other features of this tablet include a 5-megapixel rear camera, 1.3 MP front camera, a 4,600 mAh battery, and Android 4.2.2 'Jelly Bean' pre-loaded. The device will be cased in a body just 8.3mm thin, weighing 338 grams, and it'll be available in both black and white.

Aside from the hardware of the G Pad 8.3, LG are touting several interesting software features. The device is loaded with Knock On, which allows you to turn the display on without using the power button, as well as QSlide, software that enables three apps to be run on the screen at the same time. Perhaps the most useful feature, though, will be QPair, which pairs the tablet with any Jelly Bean smartphone, allowing the user to receive calls and messages on the G Pad.

LG says the tablet will be available in North America, Europe and Asia sometime in the fourth quarter, but there was no mention of how much it'll cost.

Permalink to story.

About time tablets started to make the bezel thinner on the sides and get rid of that hideous 1 inch thick one that takes up too much screen like they are doing with the new smartphones now pushing the screen to the edges as it should be.

Have it rooted out of the box, then more will buy it.. Looks nice and 2GB of RAM would give you 1.5GB free. They are using DDR2 instead of DDR3, even the cheaper tablets use DDR3.

iPad, G Pad, only 24 letters left! A, B, C, D, E, F, H, J, K ,L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z are still available for your company's naming convention, but only for a limited time. ALL LETTERS MUST GO!!!

Silly names aside, I'm glad to see that somebody is finally making a tablet with an effectively sized screen. One thing that's always bugged me about tablets is the amount of real-estate that goes to waste underneath the glass.

iPad, G Pad, only 24 letters left! A, B, C, D, E, F, H, J, K ,L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z are still available for your company's naming convention, but only for a limited time. ALL LETTERS MUST GO!!!

Silly names aside, I'm glad to see that somebody is finally making a tablet with an effectively sized screen. One thing that's always bugged me about tablets is the amount of real-estate that goes to waste underneath the glass.
z is taken by xperia z (not tablet)
xp, two letters, (not tablet) was already taken by ms.
numbers 7, 8, 8.1, (possibly 8.2 and 9) (not tablet), are taken by ms.

apple has taken the 'mini' and its competitors are following it.

About time tablets started to make the bezel thinner on the sides and get rid of that hideous 1 inch thick one that takes up too much screen like they are doing with the new smartphones now pushing the screen to the edges as it should be.

Samsung's Galaxy Tab is already like this.

This looks like it has a good combination of specs and size/weight. Not much larger than my first gen Nexus 7 and weighs about the same.

Back