LG unveils world's thinnest 1080p display for smartphones

Shawn Knight

Staff member

world slimmest display impossibly thin lg

LG on Thursday announced what they are calling the world’s thinnest full HD LCD display for smartphones. Measuring just 2.2mm thick (or thin, depending on your outlook), the 5.2-inch panel boasts a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 pixels and is said to be brighter than current full HD screens already on the market according to a press release from the company.

Creating the new panel required LG to come up with some new technology. Key to creating the panel is LG’s Advanced One-Glass-Solution (OGS), a method that puts dual flexible printed circuits between the panel and touch film. This reduces the number of lines on the panel by more than 30 percent while a direct bonding system has boosted the overall screen brightness to a maximum of 535 nits.

It’s no secret that batteries, camera modules and displays are among the thickest components inside modern smartphones. Consumers have shown a keen interest in slim handsets over the past couple of years which has led to some incredibly thin phones like Apple’s iPhone at 7.6mm, Samsung’s Galaxy S4 at 7.9mm and the upcoming Huawei Ascend P6 at just 6.18mm thick.

Further refinement of these key components will no doubt continue but perhaps new battery technology could be the most paramount of them all.

LG didn’t provide a solid release date for the new panels or any information on what handsets we can expect to see them show up in although one publication believes it could arrive just in time for the Optimus G2.

Permalink to story.

Copy paper is about 0.1 mm thick. So that's still about 22 sheets of paper? Which is thin, but still sounds like there's room to improve.

Copy paper is about 0.1 mm thick. So that's still about 22 sheets of paper? Which is thin, but still sounds like there's room to improve.
But how rigid is copy paper? The slimmer the device, the less rigid it inherently is. The screen is probably very fragile as well. Not a good idea for the more "masculine" among us.

I wonder if that is the unnamed LCD screen that the guys at Oculus VR were using to show off the HD Rifit prototype at E3.

But how rigid is copy paper? The slimmer the device, the less rigid it inherently is. The screen is probably very fragile as well. Not a good idea for the more "masculine" among us.

I would expect the rest of the phone could provide some strength to the screen. If the screen is thinner, the battery can be larger. The camera module has to have a little thickness (as of current tech) or it can't absorb enough light for good pictures.

Looks like the light is coming from the small unit at the base, where it hinges. As such, this won't be available in 50inch TV's any time soon due to physics.

So, mobile display technology is advancing, and you already hate what hasn't even been released yet, soooooo why are you here again?

*looks at his address bar... yup, still says techspot.....*

Nice to see really. But im kinda concerned by the idea of a larger battery. I deal with cellphones and all the related problems on a daily basis. One of the major problems we see a lot is ppl useing their smartphones while they are charging. This causes a ton of heat to build in the battery threby causing it to swell. If ppl continue to use their phones while charging them I can see that battery swelling and breaking that screen. That concerns me a bit.

So, mobile display technology is advancing, and you already hate what hasn't even been released yet, soooooo why are you here again?

*looks at his address bar... yup, still says techspot.....*
Hate is a pretty strong word. With development in Gorilla Glass, we've seen glass get thinner, more scratch resistant, and withstand more pressure before it breaks. My only thought is that the 2.2 mm is still a fairly thick sandwich of materials to make up a display. I'm looking at 3x 0.7 mm pencil lead refills side-by-side and thinking that is still thinner than the display. It still seems like it would consume a significant portion of a phones thickness. My one thought is just that it this is a good development with room to improve.

Hate is a pretty strong word. With development in Gorilla Glass, we've seen glass get thinner, more scratch resistant, and withstand more pressure before it breaks. My only thought is that the 2.2 mm is still a fairly thick sandwich of materials to make up a display. I'm looking at 3x 0.7 mm pencil lead refills side-by-side and thinking that is still thinner than the display. It still seems like it would consume a significant portion of a phones thickness. My one thought is just that it this is a good development with room to improve.

I'll let Corning know that you think 2.2mm is still too thick, but you believe they can improve on that.

Back