LGA 775 holds 77% share in 2009, 50% 2010

By Matthew
Feb 5, 2010
  1. Socket T hasn't caught much press lately with all the buzz around Intel's LGA 1156 and 1366-based processors, but the elderly platform dates back to the late days of the Pentium 4. Despite its age, LGA 775 still claimed 77% of sales last year, and will seize about 50% this year according the Intel's projections -- more than the company's two new desktop platforms combined.

Read the whole story
  2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,681   +86

Probably one major reason behind this is TCO of the newer platform, and that situation exists due to lack of much competition at the upper mainstream/higher end products. Also despite its age, LGA 775 still packs a considerable punch, when it comes to computing needs most of us ordinary folks have :)
  3. Captain828

Captain828 TS Guru Posts: 287   +10

The whole problem behind Intel's new desktop sockets (1156 and 1366) is that most of us would need a new motherboard, a new CPU and even new RAM (DDR2->DDR3) to upgrade... and that isn't very cheap.

Also, given the lack of chipset competition, it might take a while for prices to settle and for more chipset types to appear.

IMO, the new sockets should see widespread adoption in about 1-2 years from now.
  4. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

For the majority of users i3/-5/-7 doesn't make enough of a compelling argument for upgrade.
    An upgrade for most would likely involve not just the new socket but the new tech it needs to make it effective - SATA 6Gb, USB3, SSD's, larger/better quality monitor, DX11 graphics etc. The better upgrade path for many will be Windows 7 and a TRIM enabled SSD for speeding up their LGA775 and holding out until Sandy Bridge (P65/H67?) comes out with native SATA 6Gb support on a (probably) cheaper process.
  5. thatguyandrew92

thatguyandrew92 TS Rookie Posts: 118

Q6600 is still more than enough :D
  6. Tgard

Tgard TS Enthusiast Posts: 58   +12

I agree thatguyandrew92; while I would love to have a new i7 processor and all the trimmings, I just can't justify it while running a quad core Q9450 Oc'd mildly at 3.2Ghz.with 8 GB of DDR2, a decent ATI card and Windows 7. It really does all I ask of it from games to encoding and I just can't justify in my mind the price of moving to DDR3 and a new platform at this time. Bet I am not alone in this.

Think my next move may very well be a TRIM SSD if anything at all in the next year.

7. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

if i could stuff a 5870 into my current case i wouldn't upgrade... but if i'm gonna completely rebuild my system around a graphics card I might as well just move to an i7 platform, even though i love my Q6600 and don't want to rip apart my liquid cooling just yet.
  8. i have Q6680 CPU from 2007, 8GB OF DDR2 " PAID 100USD for it" & P43 chipset motherboard ...i don't think there is a reason for me to upgrade for the next two years other than PCI express 3.0, USB3 & SATA6.

my first PC was p6 100Mhz with 8MB system ram and 512K VRAM and it won't even play some of dos games because they require 16MB of system RAM. now i don't know what needs 8000MB of RAM, so there is nothing making me change to DDR3 or I5/I7 other than the above mentioned technologies. it will be a waste of money.
  9. AfricanTech

AfricanTech TS Rookie Posts: 69

Yep - just too expensive to upgrade the entire rig - now if only someone would release a LGA775 board with built-in USB3.0....
  10. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

A USB3 PCI / PCIex1 add-in card would do the job. As would a USB 3.0 + SATA 6Gb (PCIe x4 slot required)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.