LG's 31-inch "true'' 4K IPS monitor now available for under $1,400

Shawn Knight

Staff member

ips lg ips monitor 4k 4k monitor lg 4k monitor

LG’s Digital Cinema 4K Monitor, the same one that was showcased at IFA last month, will soon be available for purchase. The 31MU97 features a 31-inch display and true 4K resolution but it also carries a steep price tag meaning it’ll largely target content creation professionals.

To clear up any confusion, consumer-grade 4K displays feature a resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 and are in fact a derivation of the 4K digital cinema standard which boasts a resolution of 4,096 x 2,160. The latter is what LG is offering with this monitor.

The South Korean electronics company claims the panel produces 10-bit color and covers 99.5 percent of the Adobe RGB color space. What’s more, it covers 97 percent of the DCI-P3 color space and comes with Thunderbolt support and Mac compatibility.

It also comes with a feature called Dual Color Space that allows the monitor to display two different color modes at once so users can compare different perspectives of their work simultaneously.

The display isn’t yet listed on LG’s US site so we don’t have access to the complete list of specifications but the photo above reveals the rear panel I/O ports.

The LG 31MU97 will be available starting this week in markets including the United States, South Korea, Germany, Australia and the UK followed by the Netherlands, Spain, Poland and Japan in November. LG didn’t provide a price in its press release although B&H has it listed at $1,399.99.

Permalink to story.

I got excited and then found out it's $2500 here in Australia.

It also comes with a feature called Dual Color Space that allows the monitor to display two different color modes at once so users can compare different perspectives of their work simultaneously.

Aka, it still has the display problem where the computer sees it as two different displays. Instead of Acknowledging this as a weakness they tweaked their drivers and called it a "feature"

Aka, it still has the display problem where the computer sees it as two different displays. Instead of Acknowledging this as a weakness they tweaked their drivers and called it a "feature"

I was about to say the same till I saw your comment. It gives away immediately the fact that they use two screens joined together. That is not a premium solution at all to justify the price tag.

I seem to find something always wrong with LG's "premium" products. I've been waiting till 34UC97 came out, and when it did, for about $1500, it got no height adjustment whatsoever. What's wrong with LG?

I was about to say the same till I saw your comment. It gives away immediately the fact that they use two screens joined together. That is not a premium solution at all to justify the price tag.

I seem to find something always wrong with LG's "premium" products. I've been waiting till 34UC97 came out, and when it did, for about $1500, it got no height adjustment whatsoever. What's wrong with LG?
I have never been a fan of LG products. Despite their best efforts their products always come off as cheap. I have a friend who swears by LG phones. He sent had any problems with it but they all feel fragile. LG makes some decent low end products but with this monitor they are trying to get into a market they have no experience in and just don't belong

I have never been a fan of LG products. Despite their best efforts their products always come off as cheap. I have a friend who swears by LG phones. He sent had any problems with it but they all feel fragile. LG makes some decent low end products but with this monitor they are trying to get into a market they have no experience in and just don't belong

I've been an LG fan ever since 2010 when I bought my 55LW9800 with FULL LED backlighting. After 4 years its still beats 98% of the TV's I see at Best Buy. The colors are just amazing! I had a samsung s3 phone and it always froze and gave me issues Since Ive bought the LG G2 and the LG G3 both have worked amazing compared to my experience with samsung. Currently I'm thinking of getting the 65EC9700 4k OLED! once the price drops! LG by Far does a better job at high end products than anyone else!

Looking at this screen and it's resolution I get the feeling my IBM 12" monochrome CRT 690*240 monitor that I currently use is starting to get a little dated. When did this all change? :D

I've been an LG fan ever since 2010 when I bought my 55LW9800 with FULL LED backlighting. After 4 years its still beats 98% of the TV's I see at Best Buy. The colors are just amazing! I had a samsung s3 phone and it always froze and gave me issues Since Ive bought the LG G2 and the LG G3 both have worked amazing compared to my experience with samsung. Currently I'm thinking of getting the 65EC9700 4k OLED! once the price drops! LG by Far does a better job at high end products than anyone else!

I'm not sure. I've worked with LGe Korea and the way they handle things gives me the idea that they don't know what premium is. They just make something until it works and than add features and call it premium, but premium also needs things like extended testing compared to low end products and that's what doesn't happen at LGe.

But I also have to say that Samsung is not a better solution than LGe. In my opinion it is sometimes worth it to just spend a little bit more for quality and buy a European or American brand which do get things like extended testing and stuff. Premium and cheap don't go hand in hand that well.

I love my two LG displays - a 246 WP 16:10 IPS monitor that I have had for many years, and a 50PA6500 50" PDP that left nothing to spare as far as internal calibration controls. The PDP only cost me $600. Before I purchased both, I did a lot of research, and concluded that these were the best available at the time. I was quite amazed by the PDP's calibration controls that made it trivial to calibrate with HD Video Essentials.

It has already been established that the panel is a single screen. OcUK for example have the panel on a special price pre-order, and Gibbo addressed the concerns of people who were reluctant to shell out a grand for a stitched screen space.

It has already been established that the panel is a single screen. OcUK for example have the panel on a special price pre-order, and Gibbo addressed the concerns of people who were reluctant to shell out a grand for a stitched screen space.
Can you explain what you mean by that? I was referring to how it is VERY common when setting up a 4k monitor that the computer identifies the 4k monitor as 2 vertically oriented 1080p monitors. Many programs do not react to this well to this in full screen mode. The displays are one panel, it's just that the electronics inside make computers throw a fit when you plug them in. The dual color space "feature" just screams to me that this monitor will suffer from this ever common 4k monitor problem.

It seems like you can get 1, 4k panel @ 30hz or you have to deal with the 2 "panel" problem to get 60hz.

Can you explain what you mean by that? I was referring to how it is VERY common when setting up a 4k monitor that the computer identifies the 4k monitor as 2 vertically oriented 1080p monitors. Many programs do not react to this well to this in full screen mode.
True, and particularly prevalent in the first gen panels geared towards the gaming market (connectivity and/or scalar) and a somewhat nascent hardware protocol (DP MST). I'm not altogether convinced that this panel fits any of these criteria since it isn't being marketed as primarily a gaming panel (see resolution and product line name, Thunderbolt connectivity, panel specifications and price point) and its apparent SST status. If anything, the added bullet points seem to be more pointed towards the fact that the monitor has I/O limitations* that will be fairly quickly exposed (which should be all go now the DP 1.3 spec has been ratified), in addition to being a CYA (WRT to the HDMI being 1.4* spec) dressed up to make it more palatable.

I was referring to how it is VERY common when setting up a 4k monitor that the computer identifies the 4k monitor as 2 vertically oriented 1080p monitors.
That doesn't make sense. 4K is the equivalent of 4 1080P. Two 1080P would only be half the pixel count of 4K.

That would be like taking half a 4K monitor's width and rotating it 90 degrees, then calling it 4K once again. Two monitors with the resolution of 1920x2160 would be needed to achieve 4K the way you describe. Instead of rotating two monitors, the one side is likely two 1080P monitors that is independently stitched with two other monitors. But then I don't know anything about the tech, I'm only looking at numbers and speculating on comments.

That doesn't make sense. 4K is the equivalent of 4 1080P. Two 1080P would only be half the pixel count of 4K.

That would be like taking half a 4K monitor's width and rotating it 90 degrees, then calling it 4K once again. Two monitors with the resolution of 1920x2160 would be needed to achieve 4K the way you describe. Instead of rotating two monitors, the one side is likely two 1080P monitors that is independently stitched with two other monitors. But then I don't know anything about the tech, I'm only looking at numbers and speculating on comments.
you're right about the numbers, my bad. The concept is right but screwed up the numbers.

Last edited:
I'll buy a new monitor when a 30'+ IPS 21:9 4K+ 120hz+ monitor (maybe curved) is released. I'm willing to pay anything under $5000. Until then I'll stick with my 27' IPS 16:9 1440p 120hz monitor.

The LG W3000H is/was a GREAT 2560x1600 monitor.

I've been using the new Acer 4K (3840x2160) with G-sync.
It's a TN panel rather than IPS, but I love it. Gaming at 4K is a whole new experience.

All due respect - If you would like to be able to see the true beauty of a photographic quality IPS display, do yourself a favor a look at the EIZO and NEC monitors.
Breath-taking!
Mike

Back