LG's first production 8K television among those on display at CES 2016

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Televisions are without a doubt the most visually-impressive devices at CES each year. From rich colors and impossibly thin sets to high-resolution monsters, manufacturers pull out all the stops in Sin City. One model that's sure to pull in passersby is LG's UH9800, an utterly massive TV that most of us can only dream of owning.

The 98-incher boasts a resolution of 7,680 x 4,320 which is 16 times the resolution of a standard HD set. If you recall, LG showed a prototype of this same set to select media at IFA 2014 - the difference now is that it's ready to ship as a consumer model. Pricing and other specifications remain unknown at this hour but considering Sharp's recent 85-inch 8K model sells for more than $133,000, it's safe to assume that LG's monster will be well out of reach for most folks.

Fortunately, the South Korean consumer electronics giant has several other new sets that the rest of us may be able to afford.

The UH9500 series includes sets ranging in size from 55 to 86 inches, the UH8500 features units with screen sizes of 55 to 75 inches and the UH7700 series covers the 49 to 65-inch range. LG has also managed to reduce the gaps between the panel and back cover chassis with UH9500 models, resulting in uber-thin sets that measure just 6.6mm thick.

LG says top-of-the-line models from each series will feature advanced IPS displays with innovations like True Black Panel and Contrast Maximizer for improved viewing angles and picture quality. Its entire 2016 UHD lineup also utilizes the latest version of LG's smart TV platform, webOS 3.0.

Select models from LG's new lineup will begin shipping this spring, we are told.

Permalink to story.

$133K .... just a drop in the bucket .... of course, most of us have the old wooden bucket and have chosen not to upsize. I think I'll save my $ for that island in the Pacific I've been dreaming of .....

$133K .... just a drop in the bucket .... of course, most of us have the old wooden bucket and have chosen not to upsize. I think I'll save my $ for that island in the Pacific I've been dreaming of .....

133k was for the Sharp TV.... This one will be pricier.... Still, there is nothing broadcast in 8k, so purchasing this is solely for bragging rights... Wait a few years and a better TV than this will cost more than ten times less.... And you'll actually be able to use it then!!

One of those and about 10 980ti's,Man what a set up that would be.
Time call every PC manufacturer out there and ask for custom components.

Too bad there aren't any games that run in 8k.... And it would take a couple of Titan x cards just to run 4K at extreme settings... We don't even have the hardware to run 8k properly for gaming yet...

We are expecting the first video cards by end of this quarter, featuring DisplayPort 1.3, which will have support for 8K @ 60Hz. I would expect a few budget versions of 8K TV-s to appear before the end of the year.

Yeah, just because something supports 8k doesn't mean it can actually do 8k.... We can barely do proper 4K now... Gonna be awhile for 8k - and every month you wait, the cheaper the hardware gets. I remember my aunt and uncle buying one of the first plasma TVs... Paid like 15k for it.... You can now buy a far superior TV for less than $500...

Ridiculous. LG was on the right track with their OLED 55" TV for $1500 or so. Now they're doing this. The amazing thing is, is that consumers actually think more resolution is more betterer. My landlord, not a gullible or dumb man by any means, couldn't wait to get a 4K TV. When I asked him why he said because there was so much more detail. I told him it doesn't matter especially at the distance he sits from the TV. He then proceeded to further make his point. Whatever. Now multiply him by about 10 Million or so and all of a sudden TV manufacturers have a reason to start making 8K TV's. Just like they had a reason to make 3D TV's. Like I said. Ridiculous.

It'll be cheaper.
You can choose to spend $133K now if you're a m0ron and have no sense of money value or you can wait 3 years and pick up the same tech in TV's for $533, I'll choose the latter anytime.
Naturally LG aren't expecting to move a latrine full of these TV's, they're just showing off, showing us what they're capable of.

With one 4k movie being 100gb minimum, the market is faaaaaar from ready to handle 8k content. So all this 8k talk is just nonsense.

It'll be cheaper.
You can choose to spend $133K now if you're a m0ron and have no sense of money value or you can wait 3 years and pick up the same tech in TV's for $533, I'll choose the latter anytime.
Naturally LG aren't expecting to move a latrine full of these TV's, they're just showing off, showing us what they're capable of.

Looking at the price drop in LED's over a three year period, it very well could be less that $500 and possibly in as low as $300 ... of course, with bi-focals it won't make any difference to me, in fact by that time I might be looking for a flat screen that produces a braille screen ... I'll just have to learn to read faster!

Looking at the price drop in LED's over a three year period, it very well could be less that $500 and possibly in as low as $300 ... of course, with bi-focals it won't make any difference to me, in fact by that time I might be looking for a flat screen that produces a braille screen ... I'll just have to learn to read faster!
I had a hunch you were trying to learn to read faster that's why I typed that message slower.

With one 4k movie being 100gb minimum, the market is faaaaaar from ready to handle 8k content. So all this 8k talk is just nonsense.
There are 4K movies being torrented around, ranging from 4.5 to 8.5Gb with good quality. I'd say the average size is only double that of a 1080p movie with similar compression. So, a 8K movie could also be put in 10 to 15 Gb with no apparent loss in quality.

Back