LG's G Watch R smartwatch lands on Google Play for $299.99

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Up until now those looking for a circular Android Wear-powered smartwatch didn't have any option beyond Motorola's Moto 360. But as it was recently teased, the LG G Watch R has made its way to Google Play, and is now available for $300. That is an extra $50 than what the Moto 360 and the Sony SmartWatch 3 go for.

"With a matte black stainless steel bezel, a leather strap, and a fully circular screen that’s the first of its kind, the LG G Watch R combines the timeless design of a traditional watch with the sensor-rich experience of Android Wear", said Jeff Chang, Senior Product Manager, Android Wear, in a blog post.

The G Watch R sports a Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 chipset with a 1.2 GHz CPU, 1.3-inch circular P-OLED display, 512MB of RAM, 4GB of internal memory, 410mAh battery, 9-axis sensors, heart rate monitor, a barometer, as well as an IP67 rating for dust and water resistance. It is compatible with smartphones running Android 4.3 or higher.

The device is currently only available to Google Play users in the US with an estimated shipping time of 1-2 business days as of writing. It will also be available in AT&T stores starting today.

Permalink to story.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what a watch is supposed to look like.

Throw some iOS support in a future version and I'll drop $300.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what a watch is supposed to look like.

Throw some iOS support in a future version and I'll drop $300.

And that's why I won't buy one. If I want a smart watch to look like a watch, I'd buy a regular watch. While a lot of the watchfaces are designed to be round, I think regular apps look silly with four corners cut off. I bought the LG G Watch (not the R one) for 129$ on sale. While I enjoy it, I don't think a smartwatch is worth 300$ just for being round. It does the same thing, but more awkwardly.

Edit: Here, just to prove my point with an example of a Moto 360
Moto-360.jpg

I mean look at that ****. Am I the only one?

Last edited:
And that's why I won't buy one. If I want a smart watch to look like a watch, I'd buy a regular watch. While a lot of the watchfaces are designed to be round, I think regular apps look silly with four corners cut off. I bought the LG G Watch (not the R one) for 129$ on sale. While I enjoy it, I don't think a smartwatch is worth 300$ just for being round. It does the same thing, but more awkwardly.

Edit: Here, just to prove my point with an example of a Moto 360
Moto-360.jpg

I mean look at that ****. Am I the only one?

That picture is only making me like the round design more. It doesn't seem awkward at all. Different, yes. But, being one who stares at "boxed" information all day every day, the rounded screen makes for a more interesting presentation. Seeing that a smartwatch is more fashion accessory than utility, form taking a slightly more important role than function isn't necessarily a bad thing in my book.

As much as I want a smartwatch, I just can't see it replacing my Omega Seamaster - Classic. These watches still look like it came out of a cereal box. I'll wait and see what Apple has in store, but I'm not holding my breath with a peek at some of the leaks. Also, plugging it in is a nuisance.

And here sir is your $300 electronic tag. Now you are just like every other curfew bound criminal.
Thanks for playing...

Tho I joke, I like the idea of a round watch. I like the idea of the moto, and the LG. I like the idea that I can change facias and the rest of the smart crap, I don't care about. I don't want to be located and the rest. But unlimited watch design sounds great. So the bezel will always be the same but slowly scuffed n scratched.

But then I have a phone... I can pull out my phone and, OMG theres the time... with me always. A big *** pocket watch of the future. So I want a watch for what reason ? I can get 3 copies of Timecop for how much ?

On a side note, I wonder if Rolex will code a line of premium fascias for these watches. For just $99.99, you can have a digital Yacht Master or Cellini facia for your Moto or G Watch R.

Every one of them is matt black stainless steel? Gonna look like crap once that starts wearing off. Gimme plain stainless steel please, matt or shiny, I don't care.

Back