LG's new Ultra HD 4K TV lineup is priced to sell, starting at $1,499

By Shawn Knight
Jun 25, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. HS Kim, executive vice president of Samsung's visual display business, proclaimed back in January that 4K Ultra HD television set prices would drop rapidly and consumer adoption would take off faster than anticipated. Judging by LG's just-announced Ultra HD lineup,...

Read more
    misor likes this.
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,111   +1,377

Like the bird - buy the TV, oh, and you should hear her sing!!! :)

That's as far as your 4K content will go anyway.

I was just looking at Sony's offer of their 4K TV box, with 1TB HDD and 50 4K titles preloaded. That's like 16GB per movie. I have best-compression Avatar Extended compressed to that size for 1080P, and they claim it is 4K. What a bunch of bollox!

On another hand, if there were any good content, the prices wouldn't be collapsing this quick.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  3. Luay

Luay TS Enthusiast Posts: 60

HDMI 2.0? 60Hz?
  4. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,436   +592

Unfortunately film/most cinema is still captured with much lower resolution camera's so other then Pixar movies and games, everything else is still upscaled/remastered.
  5. VitalyT

That's not the problem. There are many new titles that were shot with 4K cameras. It is the absence of the media that prevents their availability and thus hampers sales of 4K TV-s.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  6. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,157   +195

it's almost 1130 PM, time zone Philippines. can some mall owners open their stores so I can buy one or two?
    kidding aside, I wonder how rich people or 'tv people' with fat wallets react to news like this. do they buy on day 0-1?
  7. amstech

Name one.
    Breaking Bad was not shot in 4K although its the first available 4K series on Netflix.
    misor likes this.
  8. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

What's the likelihood that these 4K TV's will drive the costs down for the HD TV's? I'm still waiting for affordable 80+ inch screens.
  9. 1080p on netflix doesnt look as good as watching it on bluray, and I imagine its simlar with 4k
  10. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

Can anyone explain to me what the price increases more than 3X per inch when comparing a 49" TV vs. the 79" set? Does it take that much more money to build larger TV's or is that just greed?
  11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Without knowing all the facts, I'd say larger sales of the 49" has driven the price to a lower value. While the 79" is still not mass produced to give it a lower value. Same reason the top tier graphics cards are only twice the performance, but 4 times the cost of lower tier cards.

Basically if you are going to buy an item that is not mass produced, you will pay a royalty for it. By mass produced, I mean massively compared to other items.
    misor likes this.
  12. VitalyT

• The Hobbit
    • James Bond-Skyfall
    • The Social Network
    • The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
    • District 9
    That's just to name a few. Don't use Netflix as a point of reference, they are far behind the curve when it comes to 4K, and their 4K sucks big time, it is over-compressed.
    misor likes this.
  13. amstech

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  14. VitalyT

Here 3 movies from Sony for you that were shot in 4K:

Other than that research it yourself!
  15. amstech

16. VitalyT

Enough titles to get early 4K buyers hyped up, but they get zilch because there is no media for that.
    amstech likes this.
  17. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,079   +331

Not that I'm looking to upgrade from my 64' plasma.

But LG wasn't known for high quality sets in the LCD/ Plasma era.

I will wait to see what Samsung and Panasonic will be releasing before it even peaks my interest.

And of course the content has to be there and its not.

Most of my Watching is blue ray and cable TV and none of that is 4k.
  18. amstech

LG is certainly better then Panasonic and arguably as good as Samsung (although I will give Samsung the nod but thier pricing is terrible), they've always been a solid HDTV brand and for the price and picture quality they can be hard to beat.
    Chazz and TomSEA like this.
  19. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,526   +830

Ironically though, older movies recorded with film can be ported to 4k just fine, am I right?
  20. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,462   +1,760

TVs in that size range are really the only ones that could benefit from 4K. (Or, "benefit the most", if that sits better).

The huge jump in panel size, puts me in mind of the sheer folly of the old 480i (NTSC spec), projection TVs. That said, the pixels on those junkers were the size of marbles.

(IMHO), anything larger that 46", should qualify for 2X the pixel resolution, or 1.41 linear increase in resolution.

The trouble here is, you'd have to broadcast in that standard for it to be of any benefit. I'm pretty sure the FCC isn't going to revamp OTA, (or cable), broadcast standards anytime soon, to humor the 5% or 10% of people with TVs in the size range you describe.
    Well, yes and no. Ostensibly film has enough resolution, (at low ISO speed) (*), but they usually soften up the results, and the standard 35mm movie film is only 1/2 frame of a 35mm camera frame, (24 x 36mm). So, you can port film to digital, but not without thousands of hours of post processing.

People, (IMHO), are simply used to the look of film, and tend to ignore its shortcomings. 4Kcan be stupendous given the right subject matter. BUT, do you really want to see every hair follicle and vein, on "Miss America's milky white thighs. I'm guessing NO. So, out comes the digital blur, or the soft focus filter, and all that excess resolution, gets smushed down, effectively somewhere near 1080p.

(*) The grain in high speed films, is the size of golf balls.
    misor and ikesmasher like this.
  21. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,079   +331

LG better than Panasonic??

Go into the AVS forums and post that you will get laughed at.
  22. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Laughed at or not, I don't want anything Panasonic. This is TechSpot not AVS forums, we may have a difference of opinion. Besides what gives AVS forums any more credibility than any of us? I'm sure we have just as much experience, as most of those guys.
  23. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,462   +1,760

Speaking as someone who used to box up defective product and send it back, Panasonic was junk. Additionally, their line of, "Technics" receivers, were never quite able to meet their published specs. The turntables, OTOH, worked well, and sold even better.

If you want stone, hard core trash, you have to involve yourself with JVC's product. :moonsallofJapan: Then there's Sharp....:holdsnose:

The only piece of LG I have ATM, is a Blu-Ray burner. I've never burned or played a Blu-Ray disc with it, but the tray drive seems indestructible! I'[ve gotten 1/2 dozen discs in sideways, locked it up, yanked the tray out to unjam them, and it's still kickin'. If it were a Pioneer or Toshiba, it would be long in the trash by now.
  24. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

We just got a 4k Sony camcorder at my office today. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet since it's been having issues with the SD cards we've been trying to use with it.
  25. Edge lit, how constrained by patents is that? Back lit is the only way forward.