LG's V10 bolsters secondary display with all-around impressive specs

Shawn Knight

Staff member

LG’s second major smartphone announcement – the first being the Nexus 5X – is now official as the South Korean company has taken the wraps off its oft-teased V10 smartphone.

The handset features a 5.7-inch IPS display operating at a resolution of 2,560 x 1,440 (513 PPI) that’s powered by Qualcomm’s six-core Snapdragon 808 SoC (Adreno 418 GPU) alongside 4GB of RAM. There’s also 64GB of local flash storage expandable via microSD card slot, a removable 3,000mAh battery and a 16-megapixel rear-facing camera with laser auto-focus, optical image stabilization and f/1.8 aperture (the same camera from the LG G4).

Other notables include a fingerprint scanner, LTE-A Cat. 6 networking, 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1, NFC and a 32-bit Hi-Fi DAC. It’ll ship with Android 5.1.1 Lollipop although LG said it is working on a Marshmallow update.

The V10’s chassis is built from SAE grade 316L stainless steel with a silicone-like Dura Guard layer on the rear for added protection.

The phone’s flagship features include a secondary 2.1-inch front-facing display (160 x 1,040 resolution that’s also 513 PPI) and a pair of 5-megapixel forward-facing cameras that can shoot wide-angle (120-degree) selfies.

Dubbed Second Screen, the smaller display can be set to “always on” to display the time, weather, date and battery icon when the primary display is off. When the main screen is on, Second Screen can convert to an app launcher or a notification center. If the concept catches on, this could be a powerful tool for app developers… but that’s a big “if.”

The LG V10 will be available in five colors – space black, luxe white, modern beige, ocean blue and opal blue – starting first in South Korea later this month with plans to bring it to the US, China and select countries in Asia, Latin America and the Middle East afterwards. No word yet on pricing.

Permalink to story.

This idea for the second screen does make perfect sense, as reducing the bezel size further leaves no room for a proper front-facing camera. But that's just one thing. I believe that energy saving should be noticeable also.

I won't be surprised to see the idea borrowed by other manufacturers, out of necessity.

It is way more useful than a curved screen, for example, which is more of a gimmick.

Last edited:
"..There's also 64GB of local flash storage expandable via microSD card slot, a removable 3,000mAh battery.."

I love the fact that LG continues to produce its phones with removable battery & microSD slot, and this is a big plus point for me. Gives me great flexibility of using its original battery or extended battery whenever I like it.

I've been a long time user of LG phones, and will continue to do so. Hopefully LG will continue its flagship phone legacy with removable batteries for a long time.

Hmmm this could be a phone that moves me away from the Galaxy S range I have been devoted to right back to the first galaxy S (and the omnia before that)

Couldn't we do the "second display" idea now with AMOLED displays? Black pixels would be off and thus not use power. Correct me if I'm wrong...

It sounds fine but it's a... LG, and I'm very skeptical about the secondary display's usefulness. If it's as useful as Samsung's Edge display, why bother? But I'll reserve final judgement until I've seen, or at least watched it in action, perhaps take it with a shovelful of salt until gen 2 arrives. Also the current crop of SD 800 chipsets leaves me cold (or is that hot). LG do make some very decent microwave ovens and washing machines at very reasonable prices though, I highly recommend them.

Back