Liberty City is coming to 'Grand Theft Auto V'

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The team behind popular Grand Theft Auto modding tool OpenIV recently announced that it is nearing completion on a mod that will bring Liberty City, the massive New York City-like map from earlier Grand Theft Auto games, into Rockstar’s latest franchise entry.

Details are scarce although according to the announcement, the team has been working on the mod since GTA V’s launch. We also know that Liberty City won’t replace Los Santos or Blaine County but will instead “appear across the sea” (presumably as a standalone city).

Because the team doesn’t have the rights to distribute Liberty City as their own work, the mod will automatically convert Liberty City from your existing copy of GTA IV into GTA V using a downloadable converter tool. Said tool, which includes some additional assets, will create a single-player DLC pack that’ll get installed into GTA V.

Multiplayer is unfortunately out of the question as Rockstar does not allow mods in GTA Online, the team says, and trying to do so will likely get you banned. The OpenIV gang also warns that you’ll need a lot of free space.

The mod will be released “as soon as possible” but in the meantime, this is all we have to go on… well, this and the teaser video embedded above.

Permalink to story.

Misleading title... but this is pretty cool news. I can't wait to try it out. Now if we could get GTA 4 driving physics back then I'd be happy. Driving in 5 is terrible.

Misleading title... but this is pretty cool news. I can't wait to try it out. Now if we could get GTA 4 driving physics back then I'd be happy. Driving in 5 is terrible.
Using a mouse and kbd, I think its far better... at least it feels like that to me.

No **** that, no thank you. I don't think anyone actually wants this. GTA 5 driving physics are fine since its an Arcade game which needs Arcade like driving and shooting. God IV was awful...

No **** that, no thank you. I don't think anyone actually wants this. GTA 5 driving physics are fine since its an Arcade game which needs Arcade like driving and shooting. God IV was awful...

I want this. IV gave the cars weight and feel. V feels like an arcade like you said. For a game based on auto theft the cars could drive a little more realistic.

The physics were more realistic I felt... Perhaps you don't care for that? I can respect that... Then at least a driving physics option would be nice, arcade or realistic at a minimum.

I just started playing GTA V last night after I bought it on the Steam winter sale great so far.

The physics were more realistic I felt... Perhaps you don't care for that? I can respect that... Then at least a driving physics option would be nice, arcade or realistic at a minimum.

Well GTA isn't about realism. That's why there are other games that have that. The driving GTA IV would not work very well in a 28player map in Los Santos, or so id think.

Well GTA isn't about realism. That's why there are other games that have that. The driving GTA IV would not work very well in a 28player map in Los Santos, or so id think.

True... but options are great. With lots of options you can reach more customers. Several people here have already said they would prefer GTA5 be more realistic when it comes to driving physics. I'm sure there are many more. Are we the minority? Probably, but if it doesn't take a lot of work why not make options?

Back