Life as a YouTube star isn't as glamorous as one might think

Shawn Knight

Staff member

youtube

The idea of sitting at home and earning a respectable paycheck by making YouTube videos may sound like the dream job for many but truth be told, it’s not all that glamorous. In fact, it’s becoming less and less sustainable thanks a myriad of reasons as outlined in a recent New York Times piece.

Despite the fact that 31-year-old Olga Kay has earned between $100,000 to $130,000 in each of the last three years, it’s no cake walk. The do-it-yourself entertainer plays host to multiple channels and has even transformed her home into a mini studio. The living room is now a set for Olga Kay Games, the bedroom has been transformed into a space to film her make-up tips channel and the hallway outside the bedroom? That’s where editing takes place.

youtube

Kay manages to pump out around 20 videos each week. Having to wake up each morning and try to think of what can keep you relevant for another year is very stressful, she notes.

Like other full-time YouTube content creators, Kay worries about the dropping prices that advertisers are willing to pay, the massive amount of content on the site, how much it costs to produce higher-quality content and of course, YouTube’s cut of the revenue.

The company didn’t provide details although several content creators pegged the host’s cut at 45 percent. And when you factor in that content creators are the ones doing most of the work - hiring talent, coming up with concepts, doing marketing and even editing content, the idea of getting paid to play Grand Theft Auto V and filming the whole experience suddenly isn’t quite as tempting as it once was.

Permalink to story.

Work at home for $100,000 a year making videos about video games and make up or drive to an office everyday for half that? I wouldn't complain if I were her.

I watch Day[9] for SC2. He estimates 12-hours/day, not including when he casts tournaments which can be 16-hours/day for 3 days straight. No thanks.

I'd still do it. Long hours or not, It's from the comfort of home. Plus, they wouldn't do it if they didn't enjoy it.

Like other full-time YouTube content creators, Kay worries about the dropping prices that advertisers are willing to pay, the massive amount of content on the site, how much it costs to produce higher-quality content and of course, YouTube’s cut of the revenue.

Don't forget bogus copyright claims. Recently, many "Let's Players" have been hit with many copyright claims not brought about by the copyright owners but by Youtube's built-in content identifier. For example, this means some LPers that played Nintendo games have had their videos flagged as copyright infringement and their cut of the revenue decimated just because Youtube's content identifier recognized it as being related to Nintendo.

They are forgetting that the competition in youtube is high, same as in other businesses, you have to spend hours to make a living. this ain't free money.

Please lets complain about how hard it is earning yourself a 6 figure wage doing something you enjoy working at home... ye because its really hard earning a 6 figure wage at home with tons of 6 figure jobs on the market..

Why complain about earning 6 figures working from home playing games for a living its like a bill gates saying his life is hard earning billions a year whilst doing what ever he wants....

Seriously trying to downplay making $100k-$130k by doing youtube videos? It's basically become a Job/Career but at the comfort of your own home, your own hours, no boss, no dealing with customers, no dealing with other employees, no dealing with work politics, no commute, and the list goes on. Someone tell me right now to make that unusually high income doing that, sign me up!

Work at home for $100,000 a year making videos about video games and make up or drive to an office everyday for half that? I wouldn't complain if I were her.
<sarcasm><speculation>
What is stressful is that their neighbors earn 200,000 a year, making their life seem insignificant. I guess the thought of living in a lower income area, never crossed their mind.
</speculation></sarcasm>

This true you can make 6 figures on you tube. First you have to be popular. I had over 27 million views for 158 videos. I still have stuff on there under my business name. But still yes you can make money. It's a lot of work to put up videos and such not easy. Once you do get the rewards.

I thought about going into this again like I had started in 2010. Good that girl is having her life turned into you tube and her HDTV.

Being a Youtube star is equivalent to winning a free small fry on McDonalds monopoly.

Im just going to say it like it is. It used to be making videos on youtube back when it first came out and few years after, was about sharing your life, your interest and hobbies. Example sued to be making an AMV was about the fandom, just like with making video game music remixes. But now people want to be "camera/video online wh%^&*" More about the money and the views then it is about the people. Most people sayign it because its true either are to stupid or don't care enough one way or another, because its free and mostly cheap entertainment. Example do you really think people should get paid by ads, views for doing what 20,000 other plus people can do. Look at me I can play cod or pokemon, yeah so can you and everyone else. Theres a million other videos just like it. Like I think to myself, so its ok to make money off playing video games, yet say few years or so ago, you couldn't even post a video of gaming without getting it flag, or something. This isn't my opinion these are facts! If it didnt happen to you or someone you know, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Thats like saying all because you never see a a tree fall in the forest, that it never happens or only happens once awhile. It actually happens all the time somewhere. In reality in my opinion I never thought people should be allowed to make money off the stuff that should be for fandom. No offense but giving out tips to play video games, why bother when you can google it and find it. If you into watching people play video games cool. But do I think they should get ad revenue for doing it. No, no I don't. No for the record I'm not jelous. Most of the time people make money off someone elses hard work. ok if you make a video of something thats well thought out, time was taken to make it, not something a million other people are already doing, but hey people get amd when people like me say this. Why because it takes more effort to make your own stuff, but hey on the internet, its like this why make your own thingwhen you can just do what the other people do.Originality is rare in todays world. Look on tv, how many shows are same thing, ghost shows, shows about pawn shops. Internet no different, with the rare exception of internet memes. That aside mostly just people doing the same thing anyone else can do. Look at me I can record myself playing vide ganes ain't I call. >.> Sound almost like those people that say I go to hot topic and pay full priace at the mall for my stuff look how cool I am. >.> For the record I like hot topic, but what I say is still true. People on youtube sicken me. Youtube sadly isnt the only site thatdoes those, photo sites, are all like that. I rather use these sites to watch videos. I dont think most of them deserve money in making 1000+ random videos of them doing stuff anyone else can do. Hey if you think I'm wrong in what Im saying or how Im saying it, you might be right half right, but it doesn't change the facts that they are true, only say what most people think. That people abuse the whole reason for making videos, which it and should be like art to be creative. Like deviant art. I like that site, but I find what people want for there stuff in prices is a joke itself. A real artist wouldn't just use a website, and charge crazy prices for stuff that most people wouldn't get/charge a dollar for. But hey that part my opinion. Truth be told. Its better to just be a fan. If you ask me, there are to many people into doing this stuff, which means odds are unless you got something better than the other 20,000+ people doing it, it can be hit or miss. But maybe people will wise up in a few years and youtube will limit who can use ads, etc to get for there videos. Most of the time lot of the videos suck, and its stuff almost anyone with simple computer skills, editing, and someone with the right equipment can do. Not rocket science. But hey I seen enough videos, even made videos, the difference is I make/made stuff for fun and fandom, not for money, example AMVs should be for fandom not to make money. If people were creative, they be thinking of doing something thats unique and different. But most people on youtube to lazy to do that, but hey whatever. I think the whoel thing is stupid, not for a lack of understanding of being jelous. I just feel somethings like example home videos or gaming should be for fandom. Hey your in a band wanting to make yourself known yea thats ideal for makine ad stuff on. But I feel like Im ranting, so ill just leave it as that, if you dont understand where im coming from, dont worry about it, dont sit back and be like your stupid or this is stupid. Its not, I feel certain things and people should get money, otherwise its like saying if I make a doodle of something random I should get money for it, just because lot of people see it. Sorry but I think thats stupid.

Except you make $100-$130k a year. Something Electrical Engineers make at a company.
Very, very, very few people make money off Youtube. I'd say about .09%, and that's pushing it. Most people that do make cash off YouTube don't make jack crap.
South Park poked fun at YouTube's internet cash and hits as well, its another overblown internet story people like you think actually happens WAY more then it actually does.
Don't quit your day job.

... Look at me I can play cod or pokemon, yeah so can you and everyone else. Theres a million other videos just like it....

That was a lot of text and was pretty difficult to read because it was one huge paragraph... Anyway, what I got out of all of that is that anyone can do it. Yep, lots of people post crap, but they aren't making much if any money about it. This chick is making a lot of money because she is going above and beyond what most people are doing, and it is a full time job for her. For that she is making much more money than any normal person doing youtube stuff.

Very, very, very few people make money off Youtube. I'd say about .09%, and that's pushing it. Most people that do make cash off YouTube don't make jack crap.
South Park poked fun at YouTube's internet cash and hits as well, its another overblown internet story people like you think actually happens WAY more then it actually does.
Don't quit your day job.

Well that's fine, that's why I have a day job. But I'm referring specifically to this person who is one of those .09% of people who is making that kind of money. There's not too much to complain about, and making it equivalent to winning small fries at McDonald's actually isn't even the same analogy.

Back