Light gaming rig

bbooska

Okay I've beckoned for some help once again.

Okay this time I'm not looking for a computer for myself. I'm actually building one for my litter sister (she's 13) She plays mostly a game called 'Wolf Team'

http://wolfteam.aeriagames.com/overview/sysreq

^ System Requirements for Wolf Team ^

Now as of right now she uses my current computer, but it doesn't run it all too well, and since I plan to build a new one for myself at Christmas, I'd like to salvage as much as possible out of this one and build her a computer that would run wolf team and any other low-mid level games. Now my dad will be funding this project, and I want to keep it under 300 or really close to this.

as far as the graphics go, my computer has a NVIDIA GeForce 9500 which I will be giving to her. (not the best graphics card, I know, but its better than nothing.) I'm going to post the specs of my computer and I'm really looking to just switch out the motherboard and CPU for at least a dual core or higher.

As far as ram goes.. O honestly don't think she will be needing too much of it... I have 2gb of ram she is going to use.

My case is pretty fat. one of the bigger ones I've seen. Not the best cooling tho.

I have a 300watt power supply. Not sure if thats usable or not...

So I'm mainly looking for a mobo/cpu

The hard drive I have is an old.. 100gb drive I believe. Not really sure what make or model... or how to find thus info out...

My old computer has windows xp... not really sure what part of the comp carries that though... because the OP is hers to have.

haha if this is a hopeless situation let me know. I just thought I could throw a half decent computer together for her.

Any help would be appreciated

If you need more info, just hit me up.

Now my dad will be funding this project, and I want to keep it under 300 or really close to this.
IMO at that price range, it might be better to just purchase a store PC, as they come with windows for much cheaper than you will get it (unless you've got a student discount) and building one at that price is going to yield low performance components anyway.

Building one at this price is sort of tricky, it might not be a good idea.
Ok, let me get this straight, so you have a powersupply, graphics card, harddrive and case?
You'll have to reformat, if you have a retail edition of XP, I'm pretty sure you can wipe it and transfer to the new build.
Basically, you're looking at these:

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-2GBNQ
ASRock 880GM-LE AM3 AMD 880G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

I was curious about that. I almost felt the same.

I thought buying a store computer might be better.

but as is I have a hard drive, graphics card, some Ram a case which I think will work fine and windows xp... I'm not sure how it works... is the OS carried in the hard drive? soo.. moving the harddrive brings the OS with it? or..

is the OS carried in the hard drive? soo.. moving the harddrive brings the OS with it? or..

In a fashion yes, but its unlikely to work with different hardware, so the hard disk will need formatting, and then re-installing with a fresh install of Windows.

Did you purchase your Windows from a shop, or did it come pre-installed when your purchased your current PC?

If you purchased it as retail you can transfer it to another PC. If it was supplied pre-installed on your PC its likely its manufacturer specific and therefore will not work on different hardware.

You need to know which one it is, because unless your a student (Windows 7 Pro is only $30!), its going to be pointless DIY building as Windows will kill over a third of your $300 budget alone.

EDIT: Its actually now $64.95, though others might have the correct link. I'm in the UK at its £30 here, but seems to have stopped now.

I'd go with HK's suggestion of just buying a pre-built PC from a major vendor. Your profile doesn't say where you are from, but if you are from the US all the crazy Black Friday deals are coming up and they will likely be around that $300 dollar range for a budget PC. From there you'll easily be able to add your 9500GT and maybe other other stuff depending on what you get. This to me seems like the best deal for your little sister especially since she needs Windows.

Yeah.

It does seem like the best Idea.
I believe that is what I shall do.

Thanks again everybody.

Cheers.

Back